Why is hybrid and electric car insurance so expensive?

I have just traded-in my 2015 Suzuki Vitara for a new Vitara hybrid model from a dealership I have dealt with for years. When arranging the insurance, I was surprised to learn that my annual premium would increase from £250 to over £450. The reason given by my broker was that cost of repairs to electric/hybrids was substantially more than conventional fossil fuel engines.

The likelihood that my new vehicle would be substantially more economic is probably realistic, but I don't see why that any economies made by my eco awareness should be hoovered up by insurers. Is this a sign of the times, or should I change my insurer?

Asked on 28 August 2020 by Herefordian

There is some truth in this. Some independent garages, for example, lack the equipment or experience to fix accident damaged hybrids and electric cars. As a result, the repair costs can be higher owing to the fact that only dealer approved workshops can fix certain cars.

That said, the car repair industry is working hard to correct this by encouraging garages to broaden their expertise. I'd argue that a £200 increase in your car insurance excessive. I would recommend shopping around for a better deal.