Who is the DVLA accountable to?

I have been reading about the numerous complaints regarding DVLA not returning documents and think this is a disgrace and should be investigated somehow. I have no idea who the governing body is with issues like this in the same way that the Financial Conduct Authority would investigate matters concerning issue with fraud and financial misconduct. It appears that DVLA are simply not accountable to anybody.

Asked on 20 July 2020 by Neil L

The reasons for the delays were two-fold: low staff levels because of lockdown and they didn't take paper applications for a few weeks due to coronavirus. Both fair reasons, but a huge backlog built up and now they're very bogged down by trying to work through it while taking new applications. I believe they've still got very low staff levels due to social distancing rules as well.