Is dealer paint protection worth the money?

I'm buying a new car. The dealer has added paint protection at a large cost. I consider it a cheeky upsell. I don't wash or wax the car as regularly as I should. Are these products worth buying? Would I be better spending the money at the car wash?

Asked on 24 June 2020 by J B

For the price, which is usually around £400, there's a lot of commission going to a salesperson - which is nice for them but of no benefit to you. You're probably better off regularly getting the car regularly detailed over the time you own it - no paint protection is going to keep your car spotless, after all. A hand car wash is also a good option if you don't like cleaning it yourself.