What do the latest coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown rules mean for drivers aged 70 and over?

I am over 70 and in good health. Under the latest lockdown rules am I allowed to use my car for reasons other than shopping?

Asked on 12 May 2020 by Ron Norris

The over-70s are considered by the NHS as being at moderate risk and clinically vulnerable to the dangers of coronavirus (COVID-19). When it comes to the latest official guidance from the NHS and Government (12 May) it says you should avoid contact with people outside your household and only leave your home to buy food, medicine or take exercise. This is because complications from coronavirus are much more common in the over-70s - even those who are deemed fit, healthy and without any pre-existing medical conditions.