I need to tax my car but can't get it MoT'd - what do I do?

My car tax is due on the 30 April and my MoT also expires on that date. Today I received a letter from the DVLA stating that to continue paying my tax monthly by Direct Debit I need a valid MoT certificate. It states: (1) if I get this in place by the date the tax runs out my, Direct Debit will automatically renew and I will not need to re tax my vehicle (2) if I don’t get this in place by the date my vehicle tax runs out, my Direct Debit will not renew and I will need to tax my vehicle.

I'm confused by this letter as I understood that all MoTs had been extended by six months due to the lockdown as a result of the Coronavirus. Please can you tell me what I should do? Thank you.

Asked on 21 April 2020 by

The MoT extension is carried out on a rolling basis. This means it is applied around seven days before your existing MoT is due to expire. When this happens, you will be able to tax the car as normal.

For more information, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-03/coro...k