How do I tax a car without a valid MoT?

Car MoTs are suspended for six months. How do we tax the car without a current MOT? I cannot see it covered on the website or find it online.

Asked on 27 March 2020 by Charing

Answered by Dan Powell
If your MoT is due on or after 30 March then it will automatically be extended for six months. This means you can tax it as normal online or over the phone:

However, if your vehicle's MoT has already expired (or recently failed the test) you will be legally required to get a new MoT as normal or SORN the vehicle and store it away from the public road.

For more coronavirus motoring advice, see:
Similar questions
I plan to SORN my car for the month of May, at least. The MoT is due on 25 May, but presumably won't be done then. When I come to tax it again in June (probably), will the absence of a valid MoT be a problem?
My car tax is due on the 30 April and my MoT also expires on that date. Today I received a letter from the DVLA stating that to continue paying my tax monthly by Direct Debit I need a valid MoT certificate....
My motorcycle (Honda CBR600) is currently insured but on SORN. I wish to put the machine (excellent condition, low mileage) back on the road. Do the new MoT rules allow me to tax it without an MoT? Also,...

Ask Honest John

Value my car