Are automatic headlight systems dangerous?

I am concerned at the number of motorists driving around in poor daytime visibility (currently fog but often rain and spray) without putting on their lights. On the odd occasion when I've been able to ask why I've been told their car has automatic lights and they either don't know how to turn them on manually or that the controls are in a screen based menu system that they don't feel safe to access while on the move. Can it be true that manufacturers are allowed to sell cars with such dangerous features?

Asked on 18 December 2019 by Adrian Dixon

I share your concern. We covered this in a news item yesterday: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving-1/2019-12/dvsa-c.../ But most automatic light systems now come on when the wipers are employed, and there is also a move to fit cars with Daytime Running Lights front and back, though not many have this feature.