Scrunch plugs
My wife's 2004/54 Ka with just 23,138 recorded miles has needed to have a Helicoil ftted because the drain hole disintegrated while in the Ford Dealership for its annual service. The charge was £60 plus VAT. I never had one of these go in 40 years of motoring with three Ford Capris, three Escorts, a Sierra and a Mondeo. Is poor quality metal to blame?

Asked on 20 February 2010 by R.W., via e-mail

No. Blame government funding of councils with taxpayer’s money to install speed cushions. The damage was very probably caused by striking the sump plug on a speed cushion or speed hump. Look at speed cushions anywhere and you can see the gouges in them made by sump plugs.