Can I have a summer tyre on my spare if the other wheels are fitted with all-season tyres?

I am thinking of replacing my four summer tyres with all season tyres, for my Skoda Octavia. If I have a puncture is it legal to use my existing spare wheel which has a summer tyre? This wheel is full size, with a Continental tyre on it and the same spec. Or would I have to buy five all season tyres?

Asked on 23 September 2019 by Ken Weston

Yes, but just as an emergency 'get you home' tyre. All season tyres are directional so a spare all season tyre would only be good for one side of the car.