Do turbo engines have to work harder than naturally aspirated ones?

I have a 2013 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 petrol. I am looking to change it, but the newer ones all seem to have smaller engines with boosters. Does that mean that the engine will work that much harder and so not last as long as the older type?

Turbochargers mean smaller engines can be more powerful and, in theory, can return better fuel economy. They also have more power lower down in the rev range, meaning they're easier to drive day-to-day. You're right that there are question marks over the long-term reliability of some turbocharged engines, but the 1.3-litre used in the Qashqai is too new for us to have had any issues reported.