Is a turbo petrol or naturally-aspirated engine better when it comes to long term reliability?

I drive about 3000 miles a year and have always owned normally-aspirated petrol engines with torque-converter gearboxes. I'm wanting to buy a replacement but seem to have little option other than a turbo engine and/or a non-torque-converter gearbox. I've looked recently at a Ford Kuga which gives me a 1.5 petrol turbo engine and a torque-converter box and a Mercedes GLA which gives me a normally-aspirated petrol engine and a 7G-DTC gearbox. Leaving aside other differences, which of these configurations is likely to be most reliable during a 12-year-or-so ownership, please?

Asked on 25 November 2018 by abenn

The big advantage of a petrol turbocharged engine is that the turbo shares its water cooling with the engine and, because the coolant is having to cool extremely hot exhaust gases rotating the turbo, the engine heats up much more quickly so is much more efficient on short runs from cold.