What's a good car choice for use as a local taxi?

Which small-medium sized car would you recommend as a local taxi? Hybrids are expensive so I'm thinking a petrol, with no DMF and chain driven. Better if it is non-turbo too but that isn't a deal breaker and MPG should be reasonably good.

Asked on 22 February 2019 by Harry TT

For a narrow body and a big boot the Skoda Rapid was good enough for quite a few taxi drivers to pick it. But all the engines are turbo and belt cam. Real MPG shows that 2.0 litres Skyactiv G engines in Mazda CX-3 and Mazda 3 get good economy, and the Mazda 2 1.5 Skyactiv G does even better with real MPG in the 50s, even for the 6-speed auto. Another possibility is a Honda Jazz Sport with the 1.5 i-VTEC 130 engine. Very spacious and practical inside.