Why is my T-Roc so noisy?

My one-year-old Volkswagen T-Roc makes a loud whining noise when reversing. The noise is intermittent and particularly noticeable when the car is cold. It seems to come from the brakes, possibly the rear brakes. My local dealer assures me that everything is fine, but I'm worried.

Asked on 15 February 2019 by Philip Tooke

Manual or DSG? Is the noise from the electromechanical rear brakes not releasing or is it from the transmission? If it's from the brakes, then do as I do, and fully release them manually using the switch rather than expect them to disengage when they are rusted up after a night sitting on cold, damp and salty condensation.