When buying an untaxed car from a dealer what's best thing to do - get dealer to tax it? Assume it's buyer's onus to get it taxed before it leaves forecourt? Is a 52 plate 1.6 323 with 50k miles for £2800 cash a good deal?

Asked on 9 November 2010 by Matt Allen

Answered by Honest John
Unless he has a direct line to the DVLA, the dealer can't tax it on his insurance without registering it to himself. If he does have a direct line to the DVLA and you can get an insurance cover note, he can tax it for you as part of the process of registering you as the new keeper.
Similar questions
Last year when going on holiday to France I trailered a second car to leave there for a restoration. The second car would ether of been taxed or had a SORN declaration. If taxed this would have expired...
I own a two-year-old BMW X3 3.0 Diesel Automatic. The 'birth certificate' for this car states it has CO2 emissions of 226g/km, which just puts it into the £405 tax band. Several websites quote a much lower...
Towards the end of February I renewed the VED online for two of my cars and declared my 1967 MGB as SORN as its MOT had expired. The DVLA website enabled me to print out clear receipts for the vehicles...

Value my car