I was at fault in an accident, do I pay my excess even if I don't claim for the damage to my own car?

I have just had a bump in my car, which was my fault. The damage to my car is minimal and does not necessarily need a claim because it's 10 years old. The other car was more badly damaged and is possibly a write off due to damage to the door pillar (it's 13 years old). When the other party claims from my insurance, will I still have to pay my excess if I don't claim for the damage to my car? If the answer is yes then I suppose I may as well claim for my damage too.

Asked on 12 September 2018 by Rob Kinnon

No, the excess is only applicable if you're claiming for your own damage.
Tags: