Daily savings: Nextbase dash cams under £100; Garmin Sat Navs for under £80 | No thanks

My diesel car doesn't have a DPF, why has it failed the new MoT emission rules?

My Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI has failed its MoT due to excessively high smoke. It was registered on 3 July 2008 and the MoT tester says it has failed the new rules that were introduced on 20 May 2018. I’ve tried to argue that the new smoke rule does not apply to my car as it doesn't have a DPF, yet the MoT tester is adamant that the new rules apply. Is he right or can I appeal this?

There is a bit of confusion around smoke and the 2018 MoT update.

Firstly, you're right that the DPF smoke rule doesn't apply to your car. How can it? You vehicle doesn't have a DPF.

Secondly (and this is the bit that's causing confusion) the 2018 MoT update also introduced lower default limits for emissions - it is here I imagine that your car has failed.

The new limits for diesels are:

1.5m-1 (or plate value if lower) for cars first used on or after 1 July 2008
0.7m-1 (or plate value if lower) for cars first used on or after 2014.

Given that it was first used on 3 July 2008 it has to meet the 1.5m limit. Obviously, you can appeal the MoT failure but given the negative press around diesel emissions (and the thousands of deaths it's being linked to each year) I doubt the DVSA will rule in favour of a vehicle that breaks the new limits.

For a complete breakdown on the new rules, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2018-05/uk.../