What does EU4, EU5 and EU6 mean?

What is meant by EU4, EU5 and EU6 when applied to diesel engines?

EU4, EU5 and EU6 refer to an engine’s European Emissions Standard. And by this we mean the emissions level a car or van must meet when it’s new. Obviously, the higher the EU rating, the cleaner the engine. When we apply this to diesels things get a little more complicated, because older diesels emit more harmful particles and gases than a petrol. In the future, diesels that don’t meet Euro6 emission standards will be restricted, banned or charged to enter cities in the UK. For more information, see: vans.honestjohn.co.uk/features/what-is-the-ultra-l.../