I was injured in a car accident - should I go to the doctor before agreeing to anything?

I was recently involved in an accident. The insurance company are happy to go ahead knowing it was not my fault and have valued my car at £700 for a 2003 Renault Clio with 112,000 miles on the clock. I am still concussed and they said they would pay the money immediately but did I want to wait until I was more compos mentis or seek advice before proceeding. Should I be asking for more or am I missing something? They said the injury claim would be handled separately by their legal department. I just want to make sure that in my current state after a head injury that I don't agree to something I shouldn't be. Would you advise going to a doctor to record my condition? I spent most of last night in hospital but was discharged early this morning, have head injury and whiplash

Asked on 9 July 2018 by Iona Bateman

Definitely go to a doctor or to the hospital if you have not already. As you have, your medical records will show your doctor your injuries, as such you will not need to see them. Do your own research and see if you can replace your car for that sum of money. Ask your insurer for a copy of their engineers report. If they have not inspected, ask them to provide a screen print of Glass Evaluator for your vehicle showing the retail transacted price. That is your entitlement dependent on the condition of your car. Also use online classifieds to ensure that the guide price provided is indicative of the market place.