A dealer agreed to restore a classic car I bought - can I get a refund if he won't do the work?

I bought a classic car that's falling apart from a dealer. We arranged that he would get it reassembled and on the road for me. That was five months ago. I have gone to see it on several occasions and rang him on numerous others, but very little work seems to have been done. The newly repainted bodywork has been dented and the paint is chipped off in various places too. Is there any way to speed him up or can I claim a refund?

Asked on 11 May 2018 by ian slade

Answered by Honest John
It depends on what sort of contract you had in writing. If it was merely a friendly verbal agreement then you are in trouble because you will have to prove what that agreement was before you can take action. If you have a written contract, you can enforce it in Small Claims if necessary.
Similar questions
I bought a vehicle and paid in full for it, only to find on the trip home there was a gearbox problem. I then found out that only the seller singed the logbook. I have the vehicle and one half of the logbook...
I had an 18 year old campervan up for sale. A dealer inspected it and reduced his offer by £500 because of some bodywork rust, this was agreed. He bought it, then contacted me to say there was more rust...
I bought a new Volkswagen Golf in October 2017 for my daughter. It cost £17,613 from an online broker and came with a written contract for a new car with first registration in my daughter's name. However,...


Value my car