Porsche 911 996 - Porsche 911 996 Convertible - Green Mould on Roof - oscarc1

Hi,

My ten year old 911 has some spots of green mould on the soft top.

I've washed them with a brush and warm water but they keep on coming back.

Welcome any thoughts / recommendations from the folks on the forum..

Thanks

Porsche 911 996 - Porsche 911 996 Convertible - Green Mould on Roof - 1litregolfeater

You could use sodium hypochlorite or household bleach at as low a strength, as will kill the mould. Having said that a lot of household bleach has a lot of sodium hydroxide or caustic soda in it these days, which you definitely don't want as it will only rot the fabric.

Hydrogen peroxide at a low concentration may be safer and do the same job.

Either of these solutions will turn a black top white. I'd give it a quick scrub and leave the rest to sunlight.

Porsche 911 996 - Porsche 911 996 Convertible - Green Mould on Roof - TeeCee

That'll be a canvas top.

Clean it, paint it with renovator to bring back the colour and then treat it with waterproofer. Once it cannot get wet, it will not go mouldy. You efforts will also be rewarded in that it'll look a lot nicer too.

Anyone who's ever owned a car with a duck canvas top knows you have to do this every couple of years, unless you like having a roof that looks like a mouldy pair of faded jeans.

Porsche 911 996 - Porsche 911 996 Convertible - Green Mould on Roof - bathtub tom

I've heard Milton (baby bottle steriliser) is useful treatment for mouldy rag-tops, although I've no experience myself.

Porsche 911 996 - Porsche 911 996 Convertible - Green Mould on Roof - Cris_on_the_gas

I use Auto Glym Fabric roof cleaner every couple of years on Porsche canvas roofs. Cleans it up nicely and helps to proof it according to wot it says on the tin.

Think it about £25 a go but this is enough for 2 sessions so 4 years