Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - seadog101
My Forester lives outside. We live up in the Pennines, and it gets jolly cold sometimes. My wife wife finds it infuriating that the doors will often be frozen shut, and the screen/windows covered in solid ice.

A perfect solution would be some kind of heater (car specific), which plugs into the mains, that runs on a timer, which will kick in at a preset time and warm the cars interior before the school run. Therefore getting all the frost/ice melted off, hopefully freeing up the doors that little bit too.

Any ideas? I can only find things that run off the 12v socket as supplementary heaters.

I know that we could pop out 10mins early and leave the car running, but Mrs Seadog hates doing that.

Edited by seadog101 on 24/11/2012 at 19:44

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - veryoldbear

Didn't cars in Norway etc used to have engine block heaters that could be plugged in? I can't remember details, but somebody will be along and elucidate.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - gordonbennet

www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/index.html

Everything the doctor ordered.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - mss1tw

I just fitted an outside socket and leave a fan heater in the van. Plug in, have a cuppa and get ready, come out to a de-frosted and de-misted van.

Does nothing for the engine temperature of course, other than help it warm up quicker as I don't use the heater.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - RT

Didn't cars in Norway etc used to have engine block heaters that could be plugged in? I can't remember details, but somebody will be along and elucidate.

All the Subaru engines have provision for a block heater - it's standard for some cold climate markets.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - Dutchie

Clean, degrease the door rubbers and put vaseline on stops them sticking.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - Happy Blue!

Remember that leave a car idling with no-one inside is illegal, even if on your own drive and the car is locked. It will also invalidate your insurance if the car is stolen.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - Trilogy

Remember that leave a car idling with no-one inside is illegal, even if on your own drive and the car is locked. It will also invalidate your insurance if the car is stolen.

Just lock it with the second key, if you have one.

No - that does not work. Still illegal and still invalidates the insurance.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - unthrottled

If the car is garaged, simply keep a single bar electric fire underneath where the car is parked plugged into a remotely controlled adapter. Ten minutes before you intend to leave, simply press the switch from the comfort of your kitchen and pour yourself another cup of tea. The engine oil will be toastuy warm by the time you come out.

The only modification you need is to remove the undetray if one is fitted.

The only modification you need is to remove the undetray if one is fitted.

Rather defeats the object of having an undertray on a 4wd.

AFAIK it's only illegal in Scotland - not illegal in the rest of the UK if on private property.

Not that I recommend it !

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - seadog101
The block heater would be a good one too, but that's not the main snag, it'll do nothing for the windows and doors...
Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - unthrottled

It will because the heater will start blowing warm air much sooner than it would without being pre-warmed. The snag with block heaters is that they need to be switched on hours before you intend to set off-and you need to remember to unplug them...!

A quick blast with an electric fire is more convenient and more efficient ecause les of the heat is dissipated to the surroundings.

Edit: Starting a car with warmer oil is kinder to it and has a small fuel economy benefit to boot.

Edited by unthrottled on 24/11/2012 at 21:22

But if the doors are frozen shut, you can't get in to start the nicely warmed engine block!

I would apply silicone to the rubber door seals to aid easy access and dress up warmly.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - Trilogy

Just get a bike. :)

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - gordonbennet

Kenlowe can supply an optional independent blower to direct the heat into the car before you ever go near it.

It will be too expensive, but it will do as you require..

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - dieselnut

Here are 3 different types available on eBay :-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Block-Heater-240-Volt-Pr...1

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Engine-Pre-Heater-240v-Hot-...1

Cheaper one if you don''t mind waiting for it to arrive from the States

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooling-System-Heater-circulati...1

Seem like a good idea if you regularly have to leave home on dark cold mornings & probably pay for themselves in reduced fuel consumption. Plus a nice warm heater & clear screen from the off.

Edited by dieselnut on 25/11/2012 at 13:46

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - daveyjp
Why not just purchase a lower powered compact convector heater and fit a timer on the plug? A 500w unit will be enough to keep the frost away.
Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - hillman

I live in the High Peak and have a Subaru Outback.

The weather does mean that the windscreens quite often have a generous cover of frost. I have an indoor / outdoor thermometer in the house and - only provided that I remember to look at it - that reminds me to put a fan heater in the car. I use the socket in the hall and run an extension lead to the car. The door seals are very compliant and the door closes nicely over the flex.

Generally the 1kW setting is sufficient, but if the temperature is too low below freezing the 2kW setting is used. Half an hour is usually enough.

If, in the extreme case, the door seals freeze on I firstly use a hair dyer to get in. The electric locking means that is no longer a problem.

Further to the above, I recommend using an earth leakage unit to protect your wife. Additionally, if you are a gentleman why does your wife have to do it ?

My house is in view of Kinder Scout facing East, and the path is very exposed.

Before I had Subarus I had a Volvo 440, and that used to suffer from frozen locks. A further problem was that the handbrake would freeze on when the weather was really cold. Then I'd get juddering for the first half mile until it freed itself..

Further to my previous postings; if the extension lead that you use is in the form of a reel don’t try to reel it in when the cable has been out in freezing weather. A, it will be very difficult to reel in and B, you may damage it. Remember that PVC becomes brittle at low temperatures and might crack.

Today is the first real day of winter. Yesterday was colder but the sun was shining brightly in the morning. My house fortuitously faces almost South East and the morning sun thaws any frost on the car windscreen. Additionally, I can park the car next to the gable wall and despite the wall being insulated there is still enough heat lost to make a difference. That means that in all but the most onerous conditions the side of the car next to the wall is free of frost.

This morning the temperature was hovering around freezing but with full cloud cover. The car was free of frost. My neighbours on both sides park their cars further down the path and their cars were covered with frost.

I find that at the beginning of winter and the temperature is around 5 deg.C I’ve got to heat the car before we get into it. The windscreen inside quickly mists up if I don’t. Later in the winter when the humidity is lower it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Subaru Forester - Winter Warmer - mss1tw

Further to my previous postings; if the extension lead that you use is in the form of a reel don’t try to reel it in when the cable has been out in freezing weather. A, it will be very difficult to reel in and B, you may damage it. Remember that PVC becomes brittle at low temperatures and might crack.

If you don't unroll it the current draw of a heater will turn it into a melted smoking mess!

I find that at the beginning of winter and the temperature is around 5 deg.C I’ve got to heat the car before we get into it. The windscreen inside quickly mists up if I don’t. Later in the winter when the humidity is lower it doesn’t seem to be a problem

This is the eact problem I have, maybe because the Berlingo is all glass. I can't find any leaks

Edited by mss1tw on 01/12/2012 at 09:05

"If you don't unroll it the current draw of a heater will turn it into a melted smoking mess!"

Yes, that's axiomatic. There are sometimes two current ratings given for the reel, one with the cable IN and one with the cable OUT.

"This is the exact problem I have, maybe because the Berlingo is all glass. I can't find any leaks"

You don't have to have leaks, it's down to the relative humidity of the air in the car and the temperature of the glass. When you breathe it adds moisture to the air and raises the relative humidity. Dependant on the dew point of the air the moisture may condense on the nearest cold surface. At about 5 deg.C the normal rules of the dew point break down and the moisture condenses anyway.

I was once giving a lift to a workmate who has poor circulation and he kept playing with the heater controls to try to keep his feet warm..He set the air controls to recirculation and the humidity in the car built up. When we came over the brow of a hill into the full arctic blast of air the windsceen misted up instantly. I had to stop the car ands open all of the windows. It was a dangerous situation because it was 10 o'clock at night on an A road.