What should he buy? - Happy Blue!

You may recall the friend with the unfortunate Skoda Superb that expired after 33 miles. Having been repaired, it broke down again on the way to be delivered back to him; so he rejected the car.

What should he get now?

He is: - about 50, partner in large firm of international accountants, drives over the Pennines on the M62 each day but otherwise limited driving locally. Does not want anyting flash despite having partners who do drive Maseratis etc. He wants some thing that is comfortable, discreet, capable to tackling some tough winter weather over the top of the M62. However, he will not buy a German badge for family reasons.

I suggested a Jaguar XK. Anything else?

What should he buy? - bazza

Discreet , comfortable? Non German? How about a top spec Subaru Legacy, or Honda Accord? Or maybe a Lexus GS or Toyota Land Cruiser? Depends what he likes but plenty of options.

What should he buy? - gordonbennet

Japanese OK or banned too?

Subaru Outback would be a different and very capable choice, Lexus GS450h or if the budget allows RX450h.

blimey Bazza, we related?..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/11/2012 at 19:51

What should he buy? - daveyjp
Another Subaru vote. The downside being scarcity of dealers. Otherwise Japanese, Honda or Lexus. Volvo is also worth a look as they have very comfortable seats. XF is also a very accommodating ride.
What should he buy? - Steamdrivenandy

Daily over the M62?.

After having a psychological assessment maybe a Vickers Armstrong Challenger 2 might be appropriate.

What should he buy? - Avant

Not so eccentric, if he has to work in Manchester but wants to live somwehere beautiful.

I'm not sure any Jaguar would be ideal in winter weather: the Japanese suggestions above make sense, but if he is reluctant to have a car with a Japanese badge for the same reasons as German, then a 4WD Volvo, one of the XCs, is worth a look. It seeme to tick most of his boxes.

Pity about the Superb: he was very unlucky, and in his situation I'd have been willing to accept a replacement Superb, but he was understandably angry and I suppose he has ruled that out.

We haven't mentioned a Freelander, Range Rover or Discovery - does he count that as 'flash'? Some of the partners in my accountancy firm drive Land Rovers, but don't get accused of being flash.

What should he buy? - unthrottled

I'm not sure any Jaguar would be ideal in winter weather:

This is the M62 not Manitoba. If mildly bad weather occur, the gritters combined with the sheer volume of traffic will keep the motorway clear of snow and ice.

If sudden heavy snowfall occurs, you still won't be able to go anywhere because the accident ahead of you will have closed the entire motorway.

The jag would be as good a choice as any.

What should he buy? - SteveLee

Well, he was about to buy a German car with a Skoda badge. Anyhow that aside, what about a four wheel drive Vauxhall Insignia? They ride well, handle well, have plenty of kit and you can buy a four wheel drive in diesel or high performance petrol. A very smart looking car.

The Citroën C-Crosser is also another interesting 4x4, they ride reasonably well are very practical, it's essentially Mitsubishi Outlander 2 as the car was developed in partnership with the PSA group. The 4WD version of the DS5 would have deserved a mention - if it didn't ride so badly.

Don't overlook The Land Rover Freelander II, they are much more reliable than other Land Rover products drive really well and are very well equipped, the Range Rover Evoque is slightly less practical (it the same car underneath) but the interiors are pretty special for the class.

Well we had a deep and meaninful discussion last night. His company have various spare car suitable for partners at any one time, so he is getting a Volvo XC60 for a few days. He is also considering another Superb (probablya sensible idea).

We considered various cars, but he does not want RWD for ice and snow reasons, his previous car was an Outback and the new ones just aren't as nice as the ones we both had.

He wants reliable so no Range Rovers and cars which come gravitas and apart from the XC60, no medium sized 4x4s come close. The XC90 is too big (and frankly too old and too slow - its ten years old now and Volvo should bring out a new model).

What should he buy? - Collos25

I can understand a person not buying a German or Japanese cars or products but Skoda as already stated is a German company producing cars in a German owned factory with German machinery and over 80% German content in the product.There are not many cars availabe that do not have some German or Japanese involvement like it or not, I would think Malaysian companies are the best bet Ford,Volvo,Vauxhall andJaguar have high German involvement perhaps French cars from Renault or PAS would fit the mark Italian cars are obviously ruled out not really a lot to chose from not even Rolls Royce or Bentley.

Collos. You are perfecftly correct and if we were all logical then the world would be a less interesting place.

My friend and I both own apartments in Israel. We go there frequently with our families; we take taxis and buses built by many different companies, including Mercedes, VW and Skoda. We fly there using Lufthansa and Swiss (owned by Lufthansa). But.... he will not buy a car with a German badge and this is despite the current German regime being very supportive of Israeli government polices towards the general Middle East situation and us knowing many survivors of the death camps who bought German cars and products once they had 'made it' in the UK, USA or Israel.

It takes all sorts and in some respects various brands have done well out of a policy of not buying German - e.g. Volvo cars.

It does restrict his choice of cars, but it makes the thrill of the chase more exciting if the default options are removed from the list.

Fair enough - we all have our reasons and this is obviously important to him. Let's hope he likes the XC60 as this could be ideal for him in many ways.

I hope you'll continue to let us know how it goes. An XC60 is one possibility for me when I retire, on the grounds that I would expect to buy something outright and keep it long-term: thus a car that is easy to get into as we get older would make sense. But I still enjoy driving and will need a long test drive to see if it comes anywhere near being fun to drive.

If I remember right, Happy Blue, your current S-Max was the result of finding an XC90 boring. If I'm wrong, apologies to you and it!

What should he buy? - Sofa Spud

Re. not wanting a German badge - his Skoda Superb was made by VW-Audi group!

Just checking - does your friend know that Volvo is now a Chinese-owned company? :)

Avant - Well remembered.

I still get a cold shiver thinking about driving the XC90. The S-Max still does it for me. I suspect that the XC60 with the right engine is a far superior beast than the XC90, although it is of course a lot smaller and more modern. I will keep you abreast of news hot off the driveway.

SofaSpud - he will have no idea that Volvo is owned by the Chinese and it will make no difference to him. It is not about logicality. If it was, would we buy anything from anyone, even the UK? Would black people buy from us because of the slave trade?

Talking about the XC90 - people bought it because it was a well designed seven seat 4x4 and therefore acquired by lots of yummy mummies. Surprisingly the latest X5 also has seven seats, but doesn't seem to have the name in the market for that use, despite being a far superior vehicle. People still buy the XC90. A colleague has just got one as a courtesy car. Brand new, it sounds like a tractor.

What should he buy? - oldtoffee

>>>>his previous car was an Outback and the new ones just aren't as nice as the ones we both had.

I agree, I rate my 2011 Huyundai Santa Fe as a better overall package to my prevoius Outback. Better engine, more power and a good automatic gearbox. I found the Outback manual box pretty average. The Santa Fe is quieter smoother especially on the motorway which surprised me. Also side steps the German v Japanese conundrum.

He had a 2011 Santa Fe for a couple of weeks last year when someone bumped into his Outback. His main complaint was the light steering as a reason not to buy one, but I suspect he would well to look at the latest version.

My mother-in-law has had two Kia Sedonas. The first with the dreadful 2.9l engine and the second with the new 2.2 engine that is in the Santa Fe. The difference in the driving is remarkable. It turns a clumsy old beast that I thought unsafe into something you might actually want to drive.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 19/11/2012 at 12:35

What should he buy? - 1litregolfeater

If he's too gormless to decide what motor he fancies, maybe he should put his money in a larger pension, and get a taxi.

What's 'gormless' about asking a knowledgeable friend for advice, if you're not particularly interested in cars?

Although I would hope that a partner in a major firm of accoutants would read the business news in enough depth to know that Volvo is owned by the Chinese!

Not if you only deal in tax.