Getting the gear - Colin Standing
First a thank- you, then a question.
The posts seem to me to fall into two clear groups. The absolute auto-thickos like me, who vaguely remember changing plugs on 125cc Francis-Barnetts, after which performance, at best, stayed exactly the same; and the experts who, goodness knows why, give freely of their knowledge to such as me. Thanks, one and all. Who knows, one day someone may ask a question I can answer - just so long as it's about a Francis Barnett with a two stroke Villiers engine, circa 1950.

Now the question.
My Talbot Express (same, I believe as Peugot J5) Van, drops, with some complaining, but nevertheless drops into reverse. Two years ago, it wouldn't and no amount of running it around, avoiding reversing then trying again, would alter that fact. A couple of hours later it relented and, without any fuss, in it went.
Last week, whilst facing a brick wall in France, it decided to do it again. A very helpful local mechanic showed me how to push down on a bit of cylindrically shaped metal under the bonnet whilst my wife pulled the gear stick in the general direction of reverse. In it went, and since then, although avoiding absolutely any need to reverse (thank you Condor Ferryman), it's been given a little practice every time we stopped, and in it went every time.

The question is - is it Sellotape, WD 40, don't speak to it, a new gearbox or, as I think the French mechanic was trying to say 'keep your wife under the bonnet all the time, so she can push this down when you shout 'NOW, NOW''

Any advice would be welcome and received with gratitute. Thanks
Colin S
Re: Getting the gear - David Woollard
Colin,

I know nothing of these vans but it sounds like you were giving either the clutch (cable?) or external gear linkage a help from under the bonnet. Either problem should be less serious than gearbox internal failure.

Not sure who the "van man" is here but hopefully he'll come forward.

David
French gearboxes - David Lacey
Colin - This sounds as though there is some wear within the gear selection mechanism, externally.
Check all the linkages & pivots etc for excessive free play and movement.
Replace any suspect parts, especially those that seem to have a direct effect on reverse gear
Get somebody to operate the gearstick into the reverse gear position and watch the linkages and see what they do (or don't) do.
Perhaps a good oiling of the linkages will help? Certain exposed VW linkages benefit from a regular oiling to ease their operation.

Rgds
David