BMW X3 - BMW X3 self started - alan123

BMW X3 (wonderful car) , 6 weeks old, was parked, engine stopped (stop/start function), we locked the car and went to an event about 200 yards away. It was announced at the event that the car engine was running and please return to the car. The car was still locked when we arrived. We unlocked the car and stopped the engine.

We had the car checked by local agent (very helpful) but they could find no fault. BMW HQ UK was contacted and after 3 days they have just reported that as no fault was found there was nothing they could do.

Any clues and has anybody else had the situation where they are outside of the locked car and the engine has started?

Concern now as we have an attached garage and do not want the engine to start on its own again (CO alarm is fitted).

BMW X3 - BMW X3 self started - gordonbennet

With the event noise is it possible that the engine didn't actually turn off when you thought?

Proper cars like this vibration free and almost silent at tickover engines would IMO be too easy to leave running unintentionally and simply walk away.

I much prefer, and always will, a good simple old fashioned ignition key, with built in plipper, turn on or off, remove and use plipper to lock and unlock.

BMW X3 - BMW X3 self started - injection doc

Interested to know whether when you parked it went to stop start mode ( so engine was off ) before you actually switch it off !before you removed key/card ?

Whilst it should not restart when locked obviously something is amiss . I can understand your concerns and would be very concerned myself.

Had it been raining and were the wipers on auto ? BSI units and CAN system have a habit of sending wrong messages ?

cant remeber whether BMW still offer the valet mode where the car can be self started from the remote key fob ? have you asked whether it has a valet mode and whether you may of accidently set the fob in valet mode !

BMW X3 - BMW X3 self started - Alan1234

Thanks for the reply.

The engine had stopped and we cannot be ceratin that the final engine stop button was pressed - we think it was but cannot prove it either way. Nonetheless, getting out, locking it and walking that distance into a very solid building should not have enabled the car to start. The "ignition key" is not inserted into anything, rather the car senses its presence, e.g. in your pocket.

The day was dry and pleasant.

BMW X3 - BMW X3 self started - Alan1234

Thanks for the reply.

The engine had stopped. The event had not started and was in an old church. What is not known is how far away you have to be before the car and key loose contact with one another.

I think there is another unintended consequnce. If I put petrol into a diesel car by accident the advice is to do nothing and call for a tow etc. If you activate the locks the fuel pumps start ready for your departure. With this system I am not sure this is the case.

I suspect that the car had stopped of its own accord , rather than having pressed the stop button and just jumped out and locked, however i would never expect it to start !

It may be worth trying that scenario to see if there is a programming glitch.