Toyota Avensis Parking brake - teddybear2

Hi There anyone got any expereince of Eletric parking brake on Toyota Avensis.

Took a Tourer for a test drive and the brake did not activate on a downhill when i released the clutch. Also on flat.

I must admit the battery was totally dead and needed jumping to get going. Jumping at fuel station and after a stall. Had a few warning lights most of journey. I imagine the Alternator could not keep up with the Electrical system demands.

Also when stopped back at the Dealer the electric parking brake said in-operable any thoughts ?

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - gordonbennet

Flat battery probably means the thing needs to be reset, or the overall voltage too low to operate the systems properly, did it not work on the switch?.

I delivered many hundreds of the new model before i changed jobs, all brand new. Unlike other makes of car with satans handbrake the Toyota never gave a moments problem.

I do have reservations about its manual operation though, it operates in reverse to every single vehicle i have ever driven, press for on and pull for off.

I'd really like a current Avensis especially in not quite so ugly tourer form, the handbrake may well mean i decide otherwise though when the time comes to change.

Strange garage offering a test drive with a flat battery.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2012 at 01:25

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - wrangler_rover

I drive an Avensis tourer as a company car, March 2009, 131k miles.

Parking brake, mine always self releases, but this puts extra wear on the clutch as you're relying on the clutch to release the parking brake, I had to have a new clutch at 73k miles.

I had a parking brake actuator fail at 68k miles, just outside the then 60k mile warranty, it was a lease car but was advised the cost of repair was £675 for a new actuator, 2.1/2 hours to fit plus VAT, approximately £1,000.

As for the warning lights, if the car is ever stalled, it remembers and at some rendom time, displays 3 warning lights on the dash (VSC fail and 2 others) the way to clear these is turn the engine off and restart it and the warnings disappear.

Finally my verdict on the Avensis, it does everything it says on the tin, comfortable, economical (56 mpg average 2 litre diesel) swallows a large load (had a single bed in the back when moving house) and apart from the clutch and parking brake issues reliable. Would I have another one, as a company car, yes, as my own car, don't think so, the cost of the parking brake failure has put me off. I know I was unlucky but in an older car, a bill of that size could lead to the car being scrapped.

I had a parking brake actuator fail at 68k miles, just outside the then 60k mile warranty, it was a lease car but was advised the cost of repair was £675 for a new actuator, 2.1/2 hours to fit plus VAT, approximately £1,000.

Thats not good, most surprised Toyota didn't cover this under goodwill, or did they and as a company car you were unaware? if not Avensis is now crossed from my ever shortening possibles list.

I never liked the idea of extra torque being applied via the clutch releasing the handbrake every single time either, common sense tells you it can only add to wear and tear over time.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2012 at 10:35

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - wrangler_rover

The car is a company car which is leased. As such, I see nothing of the bills for servicing, tyres etc. As you say, I would be surprised if Toyota didn't cover the cost under goodwill. The actuator was a component that failed, I don't know what the mtbf (mean time between failures) for such a component is but I think I was unlucky.

The point I make is I have had a handbrake cable snap and be repaired for less than £100 at a small garage, £1,000 for a parking brake to be fixed is in a different league. As I maintain, the advantages of electronic parking brakes are freeing up more space in the cabin, handbrake anchor points don't have to be put into the car body and it is almost impossible to roll back when starting off so it aids people who find it difficult to control a car. The main disadvantage is cost of repair if it goes wrong.

As for buying a car for myself or my wife, I would look for something simple with the least things to go wrong.

.As for buying a car for myself or my wife, I would look for something simple with the least things to go wrong.

As each new model emerges this option increasingly rare, but agree with every word, or as Unthrottled mentioned in an earlier post...if it aint broke etc.

Hill hold doesn't have to be so damned complicated anyway, Subaru manage to make it blindingly simple.

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - T44RXX

My car is a 62 plate Avensis Tourer 2.0D4D T-Spirit and I drive over a hundred miles a day on private hire. VSC light ,engine light and check parking brake was on display recently. My fuel cap was loose.Tighten fully and the warning lights won't display.Once a week I put in 2 litres of unleaded which mixes with the 3/4 tank of diesel. Car is very reliable but terrible ride over poor roads .

Edited by T44RXX on 15/01/2016 at 03:39

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - corax

Once a week I put in 2 litres of unleaded which mixes with the 3/4 tank of diesel.

???

New one on me too, when i ran Diesels my snake oil of choice was Millers, other swear by two stroke oil, first time i've heard of sloshing petrol in since the 70's when Diesel was inclined to wax up in the extreme cold.

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - focussed

New one on me too, when i ran Diesels my snake oil of choice was Millers, other swear by two stroke oil, first time i've heard of sloshing petrol in since the 70's when Diesel was inclined to wax up in the extreme cold.

I put 0.35 litre of synthetic 2T oil in with 70 litres of diesel in my old Mitsi L200, as it has an old school rotary distributor injection pump, I wouldn't mix petrol with diesel though - as GB says-seems a bit of a throwback to 1960's waxing problems.

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - T44RXX

My passengers always happy no transmission tunnel and they like the sunroof,soft leather seats and no complaints about the ride BUT I think it has a terrible ride . 42mpg just around Manchester city centre over some nasty road surfaces

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - galileo

Report in today's local paper about a chap killed when his Landrover moved while he was under it.

Not sure of the accuracy of this, it says he'd removed the prop shaft, which disabled the 'electric brake' and the manual handbrake was ineffective through rust.

It said this wouldn't have been obvious because the electric brake compensates for the manual handbrake being weak.

Report in today's local paper about a chap killed when his Landrover moved while he was under it.

Not sure of the accuracy of this, it says he'd removed the prop shaft, which disabled the 'electric brake' and the manual handbrake was ineffective through rust.

It said this wouldn't have been obvious because the electric brake compensates for the manual handbrake being weak.

Poor chap, nasty way to go, however they don't get two parking brakes, either its a stand alone propshaft brake as per Series/Defenders, or electric parking brake as fitted to Sport/Disco 3/4 and RR.

Removing the prop wouldn't disable the electric brake, and i wouldn't think there's anyone in the country would trust their LR jacked up on just the prop brake alone to stop it moving, transmission slack will allow a lot of rocking movement.

Maybe they mean the transmission lock in an auto box was ineffective due to the prop being off.

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - galileo

Poor chap, nasty way to go, however they don't get two parking brakes, either its a stand alone propshaft brake as per Series/Defenders, or electric parking brake as fitted to Sport/Disco 3/4 and RR.

Removing the prop wouldn't disable the electric brake, and i wouldn't think there's anyone in the country would trust their LR jacked up on just the prop brake alone to stop it moving, transmission slack will allow a lot of rocking movement.

Maybe they mean the transmission lock in an auto box was ineffective due to the prop being off.

Exactly what I thought: the local paper is not renowned for accuracy and detail checking of its reports. Like many papers, proofreaders were made redundant years ago which allows some nonsense to appear in print.

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - slkfanboy

Sadly many ppl are killed or injured due incorrectly supporting their car

Toyota Avensis Parking brake - steelghost

We bought an Avensis Tourer (62 plate, 1.8 petrol / CVT auto 'box) in April last year. EPB never auto activates - manual only. It has a small torque converter "in front" of the main CVT to handle moving off, and as such a small amount of auto creep which aids hill starts - so I've never needed to use the EPB for that. It really only ever gets used when the car is actually parked up.

Time will tell on reliability - apparently some changes were made to EPB in the facelift version to make it more resistant to water ingress.

Sounds like your test drive had been left too long without sufficient engine activity to keep the battery charged.