Terminating car finance on BOS rather than HP? - nikkikitch

Hi

I have a car secured on a bill of sale rather than a hire purchase agreement. I want to either settle the finance OR if i can, voluntary terminate the agreement.

The car however, is not on a HP agreement, its a credit agreement secured on a bill of sale. I have paid over 50 % of the total payable. The car is due an MOT and i reckon needs about £500-1000 worth of repairs (new tyres, break pads etc)

The settlement figure i have been given is 4k. So i could settle, get the car repaired then sell privately OR part ex for a new car. The part ex figure I've been given though is very low at 2k. The car is worth £3.5k privately and £3k trade.

So my first question is, can i voluntary terminate the finance agreement even though its not HP but bill of sale and if so, do i have to hand the car back with an MOT?

Am i better to get the repairs done then try and sell it myself before purchasing a new car OR try and find a better part ex deal without getting the repairs done? Seems silly to get it repaired when i want to get rid anyway!

Im just trying to get rid of the finance and buy a new car outright in the cheapest way possible!

Thanks

Terminating car finance on BOS rather than HP? - Auristocrat

Under a bill of sale agreement, the finance company holds a legal charge against the item bought under the finance agreement. Where one defaults on the agreement, the finance company has a legal right of possession to the item, and prevents a sale of the item to a third party until the finance is cleared. To either sell the car or part exchange the car, you will need to clear the finance first. You will need to check the terms and conditions of the finance agreement to see whether the return of the car to the finance company will clear the finance owing - by the sound of it, it won't.

Edited by Auristocrat on 22/03/2012 at 01:01

Terminating car finance on BOS rather than HP? - leaseman

The Bill of Sale is the instrument by which the financing deal is secured against the car. The primary financing arrangement will be, undoubtedly, a loan.

The loan is repayable in full, with additional interest, no matter what. The settlement figure for settling the loan early will have to allow a discount from the total interest charges calculated under the Consumer Credit Act.

You have no rights to voluntarily surrender the car and terminate the agreement and if you allow the lender to take possession of the car, they will sell it at auction and credit the loan account with the proceeds of sale after deduction of their costs and disbursements. You will still be liable for the balance of the account.

Sorry that I cannot suggest an exit for you without digging deeply into your pocket.

Terminating car finance on BOS rather than HP? - tony g
Hi all ,how does a bill of sale agreement differ from a conventional hire purchase agreement ,with halves and thirds,or a personal loan. I was a finance manager for many years and never came across a bill of sale agreement .

Tony g
Terminating car finance on BOS rather than HP? - Bromptonaut
Hi all ,how does a bill of sale agreement differ from a conventional hire purchase agreement ,with halves and thirds,or a personal loan. I was a finance manager for many years and never came across a bill of sale agreement . Tony g

The mechanism is explained in this Govt Consultation form 2009/10:

www.tinyurl.com/783l5wm

Edited by Bromptonaut on 22/03/2012 at 21:02

Terminating car finance on BOS rather than HP? - tony g
Hi bromptonaught ,Thankyou for the link I now understand .The popular name is a log book loan ,rather than a bill of sale .

This type of agreement became popular after my time as a finance manager .

Having read the report you would have to say that the sooner they are banned the better .

The BOS agreement is an outdated peice of Victorian legislation that should have been banned many years ago .It was never intended to be used by people with a poor credit history .The report quotes a loan of £750 ,with a total repayable of £3000 over 6 months ! .You would have to wonder whether any consumer has ever tried to have the loan set aside under the unfair contracts act .

Other than the problem they create for consumers they can also be a problem for the car trade , in that the log book lenders tend not to register their interest with the Experian HPI system .

It follows that a car dealer can buy a car from the registered owner ,do the usual HPI checks ,which show up no financial interest ,pay for the car ,then loose the car ,when the BOS lender gets a court order to recover the car .

Tony g