Peugeot 306 1.9D - Removing hub carrier from driveshaft - Ovaltine

I need to replace the reluctor ring on the RHS driveshaft of a 306.

I attempted this a few weeks ago and got to the stage where the hub carrier needed to come off and was unable to do so because it was stuck solid. I tried drifting it off and bent up a homemade gear puller in the attempt.

I have bought a proper hub puller now but thought I’d tackle the job slightly different.

Before disconnecting the lower suspension arm and hub carrier-to-suspension strut, I’d attempt to pop the driveshaft with the puller and if necessary hammer with the brass drift.

Is there enough lateral movement in the outer CV joint to do this? Haynes describes it as a ball and cage type on the 1.9 and so I assume is the plunging type.

To clarify this is just to loosen the driveshaft prior to removing the hub carrier.

Peugeot 306 1.9D - Removing hub carrier from driveshaft - bathtub tom

You make no mention of undoing the hub nut!

The 35mm hub nut would be backed off to the end of the shaft with just enough to keep the extractor bolt on the shaft.

The hub carrier is stuck fast so I thought if I need to hit the driveshaft end with a brass drift or soft faced mallet (if puller doesn't work) it would be better if the lower suspension arm and hub carrier-to-suspension strut were still connected to hold it. But it would only work if the CV joint allows lateral movement.

The other point of the exercise is that if I still can't shift the shaft I don't need to re-assemble so much to drive the car.

Edited by Ovaltine on 11/03/2012 at 11:55

Peugeot 306 1.9D - Removing hub carrier from driveshaft - dieselnut

I've only ever used a hammer, with the nut covering the driveshaft threads, & usually come apart with the first good wack. ( If youv'e got 2 hammers, put the ball end of one against the end of the shaft then hit that with a bigger hammer )

I havn't had a 306 but other Citroens have just needed the bottom ball joint removed to get enough movement in the carrier to extract the shaft & CV.

I've only ever used a hammer, with the nut covering the driveshaft threads, & usually come apart with the first good wack. ( If youv'e got 2 hammers, put the ball end of one against the end of the shaft then hit that with a bigger hammer )

I havn't had a 306 but other Citroens have just needed the bottom ball joint removed to get enough movement in the carrier to extract the shaft & CV.

Cheers for the advice dieselnut. You were spot on with the tip in the last paragraph.

I had the lower balljoint undone but it wouldn't completely drop out of the hub-carrier. However there was enough movement to see the CV joint plunge inwards. I attached the hub extractor and was able to free the driveshaft. After removing the balljoint from the 3 torx bolts and with the steering to the right, the driveshaft came out as you described.

Peugeot 306 1.9D - Removing hub carrier from driveshaft - dieselnut

Pleased that you got it sorted. These jobs are always a bit daunting the first time, don't want to damage anything.

Peugeot 306 1.9D - Removing hub carrier from driveshaft - stevenage

I was taught never to hit two hammers together as danger of flying shrapnel