Company car vs car allowance - markrw3000

Hi, is it acceptable even legal to have different rules for company car owners and those who own a private car through the company car allowance scheme?

Example 1, a company car owner has had to have his tank drained as he put petrol in a diesel tank, the comapny paid for it. If I did the same then the company have said that I would have to pay for it myself. Is this right?

Example 2, I recently had a flat tyre whilst on company business, I had to pay for it myself but the company car driver gets his paid. Right or wrong?

Company car vs car allowance - unthrottled

Right. A company car belongs to either the lease company or the company in question. They are responsible for the cost of maintainance.

A privately owned car belongs to you. The allowance is to reimburse you for additional wear and tear. But it is your car and you are responsible for it. Otherwise the allowance, is just an unearned bonus.

Company car vs car allowance - Roly93

This is a strange post ?

The fundamental question you ask yourself when you are thinking of opting out of a company car scheme is "given the likely cost of the car I am going to buy and its estimated running costs, will the tax savings and post-tax car allowance allow me to be better off over say a 3-4 year period ?"

If the answer is no, stay in the scheme. You dont usually say to yourself how can I get the company to pay for my car and the running costs and pick up the tab for anything else untoward that happens along the way ! If you want total risk freedom stay in the scheme, though I doubt that you would get away with mis-fuelling a vehicle without some comments from your fleet manager !

Company car vs car allowance - markrw3000

Many thanks for replying

Company car vs car allowance - zango

Presumably your company has various insurances in place for when an employee travels on company business. These won't normally cover motoring breakdowns.

This cover, as has been pointed out is provided by the lease company when you have a company car. Any repairs, servicing, insurance, breakdown assistance, VED etc are benefits that are not directly taxed when you take a company car. The BIK tax is purely on the list price and CO2 figure of the car.

If you opt for the cash instead, then that's all you get, which is taxed as part of your income via PAYE in the normal way.

If you don't take the company car, but take the cash instead then normally your employee will pay you a fuel allowance for any business journeys. These must not include communting! Normally this will be under the HMRC "fixed profit scheme" which is around 10p a mile for fuel.

However, because you are using your car for business (it does not matter how you have financed it) you can claim the overhead rate from the HMRC "fixed profit scheme" which is about 30p a mile for the non fuel costs associated with running a car. You do this via your end of year tax return, so that it ends up as an increased PAYE tax code.

Please check out the figures on the HMRC website.

Unless you do a lot of business miles this is not going to make much difference.

I would always take the company car option myself.

Company car vs car allowance - NARU

Example 1, a company car owner has had to have his tank drained as he put petrol in a diesel tank,...

Example 2, I recently had a flat tyre whilst on company business...

Even if it were a company car, my company would make the employee pay for example 1 (employee was negligent), and would consider it for example 2 (depending on the cause of the flat tyre).

Edited by Marlot on 05/03/2012 at 20:09

Company car vs car allowance - Collos25

£600 per month 21p per mile own car every thing that happens is my problem or a lease car everything is is the lease companies problem take your pick.

The £600 is taxable you can claim the difference in mileage back from the HMCE around £400 per year.

I would not expect the company to pay for what is my fault with my car- they pay me for such breakdowns in the £600.

I ditched my car in 2003 after having had company cars for 13 years. In the old days a company car was a real perk and even having a fuel card was too. The government have long since 'raped' the company car user for TAX.

I never looked back apart from the days when I had to buy some tyres or pay for a service !!

Company car vs car allowance - concrete

Hello Roly, couldn't agree more. I came out of the company scheme 6 years ago. Bought a nearly new, good reliable car then, and still got it with 150+K on the clock. The mileage allowance from HMRC for a car is 45p for the first 10K and 25p thereafter. The 45p only came in last year. For years it was 40p and 25p which was brought in when fuel was about 60p per litre. So HMRC have been 'taxing' the allowance simply by not increasing it with inflation. It is still possible to run a decent car and save money on the allowance and of course on your PAYE tax code which remains all yours, but you need to be financially solvent to embark on the scheme because of the outlay. This seems to rule out a lot of people. Regarding misfuelling and flat tyres etc, that is all down to you- the owner. The company will not want to know. That is one of the things about running your own vehicle- you take extra care with everything because YOU are responsible. Cheers Concrete

The only snag I can see is that some car allowance schemes have a maximum age of car (presumably because they want to project a certain image to clients). This can be a problem if you're covering large mileages and have to sell the car at a large loss every three years. But you should still be quids in.

The only snag I can see is that some car allowance schemes have a maximum age of car (presumably because they want to project a certain image to clients). This can be a problem if you're covering large mileages and have to sell the car at a large loss every three years. But you should still be quids in.

Yes this is true, a lot of people at my last company used to moan about this. One guy I knew was getting £550 per month car allowance plus a very good salary and he used to run a J Reg Renault 14 worth all of £750 !! No one said anything about this but it was ridiculous as he was in a customer-facing role.

£550/month pays for a pretty decent car. That is taking the proverbial!

Mind you, it could be argued that it's pretty shallow to judge someone's competence by their choice of car. I've known some fairly sharp people run old sheds (no, I don't include myself in that catagory!).

Mind you, it could be argued that it's pretty shallow to judge someone's competence by their choice of car. I've known some fairly sharp people run old sheds (no, I don't include myself in that catagory!).

This is of course true, but if you work for a Blue Chip Global Technology company should you be taking customers from other blue chip organisations which may spend £M's out in a car like this !!!

Company car vs car allowance - jamie745

I've spent less than £550 on entire cars.

Company car vs car allowance - TeeCee

I used to get about that and ran an MGB roadster.

Occasionally HR would ask what I was running and for evidence of maintenance for their records. A quick phone call reminding them of what it was and that I maintained it myself would always get me put back on the "Can of worms - ignore" pile.

--

The best car sheme gag I heard was a mate whose company provided a fuel card with the car allowance. Having no company car associated with it this was, at the time, taxed as if associated with an "average fleet car" (some sort of 1.8 Ford IIRC).

He went out and bought a Discovery V8i and a lead welly to go with it....

Company car vs car allowance - Smileyman

The rules are not different (or illegal), the vehicle owner is responsible for maintenance, if the vehicle is owned by a finance company and leased the agreeement will state the terms for maintenance, what is or is not covered.

Of course, there is nothng stopping an employer putting into the vehicle use policy a clause making staff members financially responsible for misuse (ie mis-fuelling), but I would expect matters like flat tyres to be paid for by the company as one of the joys of running a motor vehicle being made for business use by an employee!

Company car vs car allowance - sheddragger23

I found this great Company Car vs Car Allowance calculator that allowed me see how much better off i would be with the car allowance. Worth a look if anyone is interested.

www.mysaleshelp.com