My Xmas Prezzy - Blue {P}
Santa brought me a nice Nokia Bluetooth car kit for Christmas. Unfortunately he didn't arrange fitting so me and my dad are gonna have to do it ourselves. :)

It needs to be wired in so that it is powered up when my key is in the acessory position, and also, the instructions mentioned something about wiring to the correct wire so that the voltage does not cut when the car is started from the accessory position. (Or else the connection to the phone would be lost presumably))

Does anyone know if there are standard wiring colours for the appropriate power lead/ignition wire? Or even any general advice on undertaking this little task? Just I don't wanna set fire to my baby just after her first Xmas!

For anyone who can't remember the car is an 02 Fiesta (Old style)

Blue
My Xmas Prezzy - Ian (Cape Town)
check and see if the radio loses its codes at 'accesory' mode, and then slave it onto that.
It should have a short-life internal back-up anyway (a few seconds).
Santa brought me the whole diamond guard car kit - polish, shampoo, wheel cleaner, dash cleaner etc.
I can hardly wait for an overcast day!
My Xmas Prezzy - smokie
Someone told me that using ANY mobile phone even with hands free or headsets is going to be outlawed soon...???
My Xmas Prezzy - Oz
If so, the coach driver I saw yesterday with his mobile sandwiched between his shoulder and his right ear as he went round a roundabout was probably taking the opportunity to wish all his rellies a Happy New Year as his last chance to do it in company time ....
Thanks for the advice, keep it coming people! :)

They're gonna outlaw hand held mobiles, but I don't think there's any support for a total ban... at least I hope not!

Blue
My Xmas Prezzy - Dwight Van Driver
Blue Oval.

You may be interested to know that HMG have concluded their survey (Nov 2002) on use of mobile phones whilst driving and are now in the throws of formulating legislation to ban certain useage.

Go to:
www.roads.dft.gov.uk/consult/mobiles/pdf/mobiles.p...f

(hope it works) - from which it would appear there is empathy to hands free sets which may be allowed.

(If the link doesn't work then use key word Legislation Mobile Phones).

DVD

My Xmas Prezzy - smokie
Thanks for the link DVD, the relevant sections appear to be:

8. The proposed prohibition would apply to the use of all mobile phones or similar devices that are not hands-free. We do not consider that the phone needs to be physically held in a driver?s hand in order to commit an offence. This would prohibit
the use of hand-held phones used with an earphone and microphone whether using a wire, or wireless, connection. Even though they can be used ?hands-free? to some extent, these still require the user to hold the phone in order to press buttons or to read a message on the phone?s screen. Nor should a driver escape prosecution because a phone was being held to the ear by other means (eg a shoulder).

9. We believe that a hands-free phone would be one that did not require the driver to significantly alter their position in relation to the steering wheel in order to use it. It should be permanently wired into the vehicle and use one or more speakers
permanently fixed in the vehicle; or be plugged into a unit in the vehicle (commonly a cradle on the dashboard) thereby directly connecting it to fixed speaker(s) in the vehicle. This would not include those types of car phones that are permanently wired into the vehicle but require hand operation (eg telephone style handset that needs to be held up to the ear/mouth).
My Xmas Prezzy - DavidHM
That's actually really bad drafting, because the letter of proposed the law bans Bluetooth, but in spirit is all in favour of it. Bluetooth is the ideal opportunity to encourage permanently fixed microphones and dialing, as it allows the driver to use different phones over time, meaning that the cost of a car kit can be spread across several phones and retain some second hand value when the car is sold.

I think this is an example of technological ineptitude that will be eliminated after lobbying at the committee stage, or at least I hope so.
My Xmas Prezzy - Phil I
David Its never stopped them in the past. Most of our esteemed representatives are still living in the past where technology is concerned. However its worth writing to your MP so it will be on record. He may even give it to one of the committee members to make him/her look good on TV .

Happy Motoring in 2003 Phil I
As there is so little of the kit visible, and the phone will be in my pocket, the chances of getting caught using it on the move are slim to nil, even if they do ban them. :)

We're gonna try and fit it later in the week when it's a little dryer...

Blue
My Xmas Prezzy - HF
This is totally irrelevant really, Blue - but just having barred myself from 'discussion", I will just have one last word here :)

Tonight, in the driving rain (was hell, maybe for once worse for us southies that you northerners?) had to clear out car for final handover from previous owner to me. Found some maps, a glasses case, a tape measure, a shoe (just the one) and finally, the phone charger - dunno if it's even the hands-free thing but old owner had been going out of his mind apparently, thinking he'd lost it. When all the time it was in his car, plugged into his ciggie connector.

Have no point to make there, except that I might even do the unthinkable and go to bed now :)
HF