Mercedes-Benz CLC Coupe 200 - driver shaft failure - elijah123

Hi, i have a 2009 clc 200 kompressor which i have had for 20 months now. it has about 25,000 miles on the clock. About 8 months after i bougt the car i noticed that it was making a making a loud noise when driving over 60mph but i assumed that it was the balancing or the tyers. As i only drive in town i dont often drive at high speeds so i didnt notice the problem that often. a few days ago the car was struggling to drive over 40mph without shaking badly and then changing into reverse and drive was making a loud clunking sound. the car is still in warantee so i called mercedes and they came to collect it straight away. The engineer that came said that the drive shaft at the rear of the car had no bolts on it what so ever and it was being held together by a rubber thing (sorry not very experienced). He said that he has never come across something like this before and neither had the guy that recovered the car. He said that the drive shaft would of come off at the back and swung out which i am guessing could of caused a serious accident. Although they are going to fix the car do i have any grounds to ask for compensation as that day i was driving on the M25 with my son and was finding really difficult to control the car i would not like to imagine what would of happened to me if i had continued my journey.

Mercedes-Benz CLC Coupe 200 - driver shaft failure - gordonbennet

So for 12 months you drove round, sometimes at speed with an undiagnosed noise and presumably accompanied vibration and you didn't think fit to get it looked at.

This and other posts along similar lines is one of the many reasons that i dislike the fashion of extended service intervals, an annual service would have picked this up.

I hope the MOT test stays annual too, in some cases the MOT is the only time a mechanic gets to have a poke nose under a car.

I suppose you could try a no win no fee shark if you're that desperate for some compensation for your neglect.

Mercedes-Benz CLC Coupe 200 - driver shaft failure - barney100

Should have taken the car back when you first noticed the noise not 12 months or so later. They are going to fix the car for you and presumably would have done so a long time ago. Think you haven't a leg to stand on.

Mercedes-Benz CLC Coupe 200 - driver shaft failure - RicardoB

Mechanical sympathy is a really useful skill. Even if you don't know what the actual problem is, vibration and unusual noises should set alarm bells ringing, and point you in the direction of help and advice when first noticed. Even on newish top make/spec cars. Or any other mechanical equipment, come to think of it.

Glad that you are getting it repaired and that no unfortunate incident occurred.