Mazda 2 - New car to run in - Daedalus

I have a new Mazda 2 1.3 petrol coming next week. I have looked at the running in for a petrol engine and keeping the standard oil until the first oil change. But was wondering if I could put in a straight mineral oil for say 4000 miles and build the revs with higher revs at times without loading the engine and then change to a full synth 5W-30. I want to maximise the performance and economy for the 3 years I have the car. After that I'm not bothered. They used to make running in oil once upon a time but I have not seen it for years, anyone know if anyone still makes it? This is the first new car for many a year

Cheers.

Edited by Daedalus on 19/10/2011 at 21:08

Mazda 2 - New car to run in - Avant

If you go to Ask Honest John on this site, and Frequently Aasked Questions no.16, you'll find advice. You don't need running-in oil any more: the initial 1,000-mile oil change is no longer needed.

Mazda 2 - New car to run in - craig-pd130

As Avant says, running in is really giving the engine a reasonable amount of work, but without thrashing it to the dusty side of the revcounter or lugging it at ridiculously low rpm. Hence HJ's suggestion of 'not exceeding 3,500rpm, BUT making sure you go up to 3,500rpm frequently'. The latter part is important, unless the engine does some work the piston rings will not bed into the cylinder bores properly.

The days of running-in oil went out with the crude, outdated machine tools and variable tolerances that were common in engine manufacturing up to the late 70s / early 80s.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 20/10/2011 at 08:45