Points on your license - Bobbin Threadbare

This, from my local area: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-14338331

There are over 400 people in Lancs and S. Cumbria driving around with points on their licenses exceeding the maximum 12 supposedly allowed. This isn't just where I live; there's about 600 people in Manchester alone in the same situation.

How are they persuasive enough in court to keep getting away with this?! The person from Blackburn with 30 points is ridiculous!

I'm with the charity man quoted in the article; let's stick to 12 for everybody. If you have to go to court and claim 'hardship' for being unable to drive then you should have thought about it before driving like a knob. I'm thinking about in towns really here; speeding on the motorway doesn't bother me as long as they don't drive up the backs of other cars. You'd think people would learn their lessons after being caught once (I know this is naively optimistic)!

Points on your license - unthrottled

I think having a magic tree dangling from your rear view mirror should be an instant 6 month ban!

You should never hang anything from the mirror. My magic tree is trapped in the glove compartment. Eating chocolate in my car and putting the crumbs on my seats so that the chocolate gets ground in should be an instant 6 month ban. From everything.

Isn't it a bit pointless putting an odour displacer in a confi...oh never mind.

He doesn't?! The scoundrel!

P.S. How many penalty points for a sideways Celica? :P

No you silly boy. I trap the string of the magic tree in the catch of the glove compartment so it hangs outside.

He has done! 'Vexed' was an understatement!

I have NO penalty points thank you unthrottled!!

You have spoiled my serious discussion <sulks>

Points on your license - jamie745

This is a bit of an old story to be honest, theres someone in Swindon i think with 42 points and still driving. I'd be curious to find out how aware his/her insurance company is regarding those points.

Some people can get some very good lawyers who can apply the law very well, all the celebrities use a certain Mr Freeman for example, slimey he may be, he's very good at his job. When you've committed an offence which usually results in disqualification, going 30mph over the speed limit for example or anything worth enough points to make you use your licence you can claim 'hardship'. Such as loss of work as a result but usually thats not enough because a judge will rightly say 'you wouldve known that before you committed the offence'. For example if you were severely disabled and would not be able to leave the house without being able to drive your car, that could count as a punishment disproportionate to what most people would face for the same offence, so you might get a few points and a fine but spared disqual. However you cannot use the same excuse twice in the space of a year i think it is, you can claim hardship again if you're caught within a year but it'd have to be a different reason.

Points on your license - turbo11

This is a bit of an old story to be honest, theres someone in Swindon i think with 42 points and still driving. I'd be curious to find out how aware his/her insurance company is regarding those points.

Bet they got most of those points because they weren't insured. IMHO sharia law would be good. No insurance, no licence= no hands, that would also go for all other low lifes.

Points on your license - Ben 10

The rule is disqualification after 12 points and that should apply to everyone. No bleeding heart excuses. Its proven when some like highlighted above have thirty plus points. Why. If they were given the opportunity to mend their ways at or after 12 points and not been banned, they have obviously taken the p*** and not taken on the generosity of the court in the first place. In my book one rule should apply to all. If I go over 12 points there is a possibility I might loose my job, have to rely on lifts, use public transport. This keeps my mind on what I am doing on the road and keeps me below 12 points. In fact at the moment I am lucky enough to have 0 points. Which means I don't have to rely on public transport etc.

Maybe if the law was applied in ALL cases, people might think twice before they drive like idiots. And the disabled thing. There are transport needs supplied by the health service and local authorites. There has been massive spending on access to public transport and taxi companies. So come on, no excuse there.

Or the guy who pleads losing his job will mean his 6 kids will lose a bread winner. So what. They should have thought of that as the points were creeping up. How much of a warning do you need.There is no rational excuse for anyone NOT to be disqualified after 12 points. The sooner this is tightened up the better.

And the winner of the Richard Littlejohn impersonation award goes to....

Oh wait, Jamie has submitted an entry via proxy:

"There is no point in the courts letting people with more than 12 points on their licence to drive. 12 points is suppossed to be a ban, isn't it? But being allowed to drive isn't a ban. So the 12 points loses it's deterrent effect and becomes the new 6 points. Except if you've got 30 points, in which case 12 points is the new 4.8 points. Except that the courts don't issue points of points if you see what I mean.

I mean if you had been driving at 36 mph in a 2.0l 16v Ford Mondeo Gigha with leather seats in a 30 limit, then I think you deserve to get points, but not 3 points. So why not 2.5 points? Is it that hard for the Police to come up with a number between 2 and 3? The reason this has come about is the savage Tory cuts on police funding. This has been going on since Maragaret Thatcher's war on the working man in the 1980's. Take away funding to give to invest bankers and the police haven't got enough time to think of numbers between 2 and 3. Is this fair? So we can't get points of points.

Now my argument with insurance companies is that they use your points to put up my premium. What thieving B***ards! Gordon Brown let this happen, but I think you will find that Ken Clarke was in power before Gordon Brown and he started it. "

Points on your license - expatsFL

Having been out of the country for 14 yrs now, we have zero points, woo hoo!

But then again we will get hammered as we also have zero No claims disc, b*****!

Points on your license - jamie745

Ladies and gentleman the insight into the true mind of unthrottled...

Points on your license - Ben 10

You never know who's on here Unth.........;-)

But how can you defend this when there are so many other rules we have to obey or the road system would ground to a halt. There are defined boundaries. Step over it and you should be on your own.