Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - brambob
My father in law was diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye about 18 months ago. Because of this he has to have an eye test every 12 months. When he had his last test in September 2001 he was given the all clear to continue driving but this year the results were less good and he has had a letter from DVLa telling him that his licence has been withdrawn.

This has had a shattering effect on him because his main pleasure in life was to go out in his car. The sight in his good eye isremarkable and he can read things that I can't even though I have new glasses that are only a few months old.

Can anyone suggest any steps that he could take to appeal against this? He has driven over 50 years with no accidents and has written to DVLA to set out the points made here - however they seem completely unsympathetic. We know of at least two people who have been allowed to drive even though completely blind in one eye. He is going for a further eye test to verify the results of the previous one but not until the end of January 2003.

Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.

BobM
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - Dwight Van Driver
BobM

It would appear that the avenue for an appeal is a Magistrates Court in England.

Using the Keyword "Road Traffic Act 1988" bring up this Act.

Go to Section 93 for chapter and verse on 'Revocation of Licence because of disability or a prospective disability.'

Next go to Section 100 'Appeals' that will explain that there lies an appeal against S93 refusal to a Magistrates Court.

As to the actual procedure should it be deemed necessary then may I suggest you visit your local Magistrates Courts Office and speak to the Clerk. You will of course need expect evidence from an Optician to convince the Bench.

You don't say the age of FiL but I suspect he may be getting on?
...and a diabetic? Both factors which probably will not help your cause.

DVD
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - CM
Bob sorry to hear the bad news. I also know someone who has one eye and has no problems with the licencing authorities and cannot understand that if your f-i-l's other eye is perfect that there should be a problem. I am sure that there are many one-eyed drivers out there - ask the DVLA how they can keep their licences. I suppose you could always ask your Citizenz Advice Bureau and even take it to court if you felt it was worthwhile. Don't accept this QUANGO's judgement.

Off topic (and not being flippant) I belive that marijuana is quite good for glaucoma.
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - Phil I
Whatever course of action your f.i.l. takes it will be necessary to provide an expert opticians test results. Make sure this takes place late in the afternoon. A test early in the day can be quite misleading in glaucoma type situations and leaving it till about 16.30hrs makes a big difference in the relative figures.

HtH Phil I .
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - martint123
Shove dvla sight into google.co.uk and tick the UK box.
Comes up with some useful links:-
www.rnib.org.uk/sightlos/brit/driving.htm
If you have lost sight in one eye only, you may drive provided that you have good sight in the other eye and can meet the eyesight requirement; the field of vision in the other eye is normal; and you have had sufficient time to adapt to the loss of sight in one eye - say a period of 3 months.

www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dmed1.htm#2.%20Your%20Eyes...t

You must tell us if you had any of these:

* Any visual disability which affects BOTH eyes. ( do not declare short/long sight or colour blindness)

Martin

Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - mal
Wonder if the "Human Rights Act" could be used in defence of this case.

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions and feedback. The fact that, for existing drivers, normal vision in one eye may be sufficient to allow them to carry on driving may be something we can build on.

I will discuss some of these points with him and these may give him a bit of a boost and a bit of hope to cling on to.

Grateful thanks again.

BobM
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - Andy P
Since you do not have a right to drive a car, the Human Rights Act does not apply.

Andy
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - Fullchat
Having had the onerous task of having to persuade several drivers( in consultation with their families) that it is in thir interests to accept that age/infirmity has finally taken its toll I know how your FIL must be feeling.
A car is a means of independence for us all and to have that taken away means the losing of that independence and can be difficult to come to terms with particularly when mobility becomes increasingly difficult.
It is my experience that the DVLA do not treat the withdrawl of a licence lightly and their Medical Unit undertake thorough enquiries into a drivers suitability.
Old age in itself is not a disability it is the consequences ie poor reactions, degraded faculties etc.
Elderly and infirm drivers find it difficult to accept that they are no longer capable of continuing something they have done for a lifetime. Their journeys tend to be regular short trips which they have undertaken many times and feel comfortable with. However when their routine is is disrupted matters can quickly get out of hand. They certainly would not be capable of undertaking anymore than a familiar journey. But then they do not have to.
Ask yourself this. Do you feel comfortable being driven by your FIL and do you consider that he is not a danger to other members of the public. If the answer is yes then take the advice given. If the answer is no then you have to support the authorities.
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - No Do$h
I lost my father last year after a long illness, the latter stages of which involved a substantial cocktail of drugs. In his last 6 months we made numerous attempts to get him to accept that he was no longer safe as a driver, supported by his GP. We even hid the car keys, but he subsequently found them.

Only in the last few weeks before he moved to a hospice did we manage to keep him away from the car.

6 weeks after his death the medical unit of the DVLA wrote to say that they were still deciding whether to revoke his licence.

I have to agree with Full Chat on this one. If you feel safe when you FIL is at the wheel, give him every support in retaining his licence. It can have a terrible impact on moral to lose this independence. If, however, you do not feel comfortable as a passenger you will need to find ways of helping him cope with this change.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Thanks once more to everyone who has responded, both positively and pragmatically.

Some of the comments have persuaded him to go and have another eye test (late afternoon appointment in accordance with one of the suggestions made). We have been telling him ever since he received the letter from DVLA that he should get a second opinion and at least the feedback from this thread has persuaded him to do that. Obviously if this confirms the negative outcome then we will all find it easier to acceptI myself will feel a little more reassured.

In relation to his driving he has driven over 24k miles in just over two years; he does feel concerned about driving in darkness but never goes out at night anyway. Having driven as a passenger with him in the last couple of months I felt more than happy with his driving.

By comparison my father still drives even though he has only limited feeling in his feet; he once missed a junction because he could not sense the brake properly and so bought an automatic because of its larger brake pedal. Having been out with him recently I felt far less safe, even at his snail pace progress, than I did with my father in law.

It seems that you lose out through being honest!

Thanks again.

BobM

To follow up on this topic I am delighted to be able to report that, following a further sight test, FIL has now been sent an application form from DVLA to reapply for the Licence. They also sent a letter saying that he would be legally able to drive as soon as they had received his application and fee. Needless to say he filled it in and sent it off within a couple of hours of receiving it.

I would just like to place on record my (and his) thanks for the helpful suggestions made in response to my original posting. In particular the posting by Phil recommending him to book an eye test as late as possible in the day really gave him the impetus to get things moving. He managed to get an appointment for 4pm in the afternoon and ended up with results which were virtually identical to those in his test last year. It was these results which caused DVLA to have a change of heart.

Once again grateful thanks to everyone. A real success story for this board!

Brambob
The pleasure is all ours Brambob. A good result for your FIL.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - HF
I take this on board, but I have a question.

I'm in the 'glaucoma risk' group, due to my grandmother suffering from it and my father on the borderline - may I please ask why a different time of day affects results?
Thanks for any answers,
HF
HF I really do not know the sciencee behind this. I found out from my local optician about 3 years ago (I have yearly test) .She said at the end of the examination that the pressures in the left eye were very borderline. (what of I did not enquire) . She then said
"make another appointment for tomorrow but after 3.30pm as earlier in the day the results are very often misleading. Did that and she then told me that everything was copacetic. (had to go back home and look that up in dictionary.

Hows battle with BSgoing ? drop me email if u like.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Driving Licence Withdrawn by DVLA - HF
Phil I -

thanks for that -'copacetic' isn't even in my dictionary! So the mystery continues......

Battle still the same - as in banging head against brick wall, and still real possibility of losing home - but I'm really grateful for your continued interest - thanks.

Thanks for the offer of email - maybe I will do that.

Take care,
HF