Leaking Brake Fluid? - Steve Jones
When changing a rear wheel on my car this week, (which has drum brakes on the rear) I noticed a sticky golden residue around the rear wheel studs. Is this brake fluid? Where is it coming from? There seems to be plenty of fluid in the reservoir still.

Advice appreciated. Car is about 4 years old but was 'serviced' (or so I thought) at the local dealer two weeks ago!
Is it copper ease grease? - David Woollard
Steve,

Brake fluid usually drips down and out of the drum if there is a serious leak.

This substance round the studs could be anti seize grease possibly. But do get it checked out, if there is even a slim chance it is brake fluid you need better than our remote advice.

David
Copper Grease - David Lacey
This does indeed sound like copper anti-seize grease. It shows the dealer really does care about you - preventing the wheel siezing onto the hub. This can provide an entertaining wheel change scenario on a wet Friday evening on the side of the M5 - what with the alloy wheel firmly stuck onto the steel hub!

Any decent garage will apply this grease at every service, especially on a vehicle with alloy wheels

But, as DW says, get it checked out asap

Better safe than sorry

Rgds
David
Re: Copper Grease - Steve Jones
hmm....it is a greasy substance and it does appear to be on the wheel studs only...there's nothing dripping down underneath the car....
Re: Copper Grease - David Woollard
Steve,

Think you've a better dealer than you thought.

David
Copper Grease vs Brake Fluid - Guy Lacey
Here's a quick test.....

Brake Fluid:

1.) Cut yourself and put the offending liquid into the cut. If it *really* hurts - it's brake fluid.

2.) Smear the offending material over sensitive skin (underside of arm) - if you develop a rash or later in life (much later) develop skin cancer - it is copper grease.

POINT OF NOTE: Many engineers at my place of work are so concerned about acute hazards - i.e Ow! That hurts!, that they ignore chronic hazards such as copper grease (heavy metals) and used engine oils, for example that they put themselves at greater risk without knowing it. The majority of materials used in motoring are hazardous so take care and avoid all skin contact.
Fluid identification. - David Woollard
Several years ago the first long trip with our newly aquired (s/hand) BX was to the in-laws in The Cotswolds. Cleaned the car in anticipation of creating the right image and had a brisk drive over there on a warm day.

Straight in for a cup of earl grey recounting tales of the "magic carpet" ride, then back out to unpack after a while. Horrified to find a stain of fluid under the car just betwen the radiator and front wheel. Not feeling quite so smug about the new French flyer now.

Engine oil. coolant or hydraulic fluid I wondered? Perhaps wsher fluid if I was lucky. Looked at it, tested the consistancy on fingers and smelt it. A bit inconclusive. Somewhere between washer fluid and anti-freeze we decided, it had nearly dried with an almost sticky feel.

As father in law and I discussed the possibilities Mary brought out our dog for a run, he walked half way across the front of the car and cocked his leg neatly replenishing the stain. Ah so that was it.

Made me wish I hadn't spent so much time smelling the sample on my finger!

David
Re: Fluid identification. - Ian Cook
Crikey, David - you must be psychic! I've just done much the same thing with the front of the C15 van. A sticky oily deposit had appeared on the underside of the front bumper, not too far from the oil filter's location.

It turned out to be target practice by a local tomcat.
Fluid identification - David Lacey
Yuk!!!!
I guess that backs up the saying "Don't eat yellow snow!!"

Rgds
David