Timing chain service interval - Gazza
I asked Nissan about the interval for chain renewal on my 96/N Maxima QX 3.0 V6 and they said it is not a service item. Is that true?

I understand that even Mercedes S-class have service interval for chains and, from memory, the interval was 250k.

Just worry that my chain may stretch or snap.

There was nothing mentioned in the Car-by-Car Breakdown.

Thanks.
Timing chain service interval - Dave N
Everyone seems to think timing chains are the cure to all problems, but of course the wear out and have tensioners just like belts. Plus, of course, in days gone by with OHV engines it was only a short chain with no tensioner. Now it has to go up to the head and over a couple of sprockets, so there's plenty of opportunity for stretch and wear, especially where maintenance is skimped.

Mercedes has (had) a reputation for big mileages and therefore to put in maintenance items that the average user would never see. But Nissan don't. Doesn't mean you can't get them to have a look anytime you like though. Quite what they'll see, who knows, as long as the tensioner is working, then it will be quiet and there's nothing really to see. When it stretches or the tensioner breaks then it'll get noisy.
Timing chain service interval - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I'm not expert on this but:

The big problem with cam belt failure is immediate and fatal (to the valves) snappage without warning.

I *think* that if your chain/tensioner becomes worn to a dangerous degree you will hear audible symptoms long before damage is done.

Someone who knows will be along soon no doubt.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Timing chain service interval - Dizzy {P}
I'm not expert on this but:

The big problem with cam belt failure is immediate and fatal

(to the valves) snappage without warning.
I *think* that if your chain/tensioner becomes worn to a dangerous degree you will hear audible symptoms long before damage is done.

Toad, I'm no expert either but I *think* you're right. Also think that most timing chains should last *forever* but this will depend on the design, and whether the chain is simple or duplex.

Some old designs, like the Morris Minor, quickly developed timing chain rattle but I never heard of one breaking. On the other hand, Jaguars of the same period would frequently suffer chain tensioner failure (noisy but not terminal to the engine, so far as I know).
Timing chain service interval - blank
My single piece of timing chain failure experience relates to my mothers 1978 Opel Kadett 1.2 (OHV), when I was a mere 17 years old.
I had borrowed said car and was about 40 miles from home when I began to notice an alarming rattle from the front of the engine. I guessed the rattle was from the timing chain, but figured that if it hadn't broken yet it would likely make it home. 1 mile from home the engine stopped - the chain had broken.
I can't remember the detail of the chain and tensioner, but there was some sort of a plastic plate, sprung against the chain. I think I diagnosed that the tensioner had failed first.
Replaced chain and tensioner and all was well again, until I failed to stop at a T-junction, flew over a wall and into a field...but that's another youthful driving error story!
Timing chain service interval - nick
I agree with Toad and Dizzy. The chain will make plenty of noise before there is any likelihood of it breaking. I've been driving ancient chain-cam engines for years and I've never known one to break. They usually outlast the rest of the engine easily. The chain on an a-series engine (mini, moggy minor etc.) will start to rattle a few thousand miles after you replace it. I believe a kit to replace it with a duplex chain will cure this but I've never bothered with mine. Very happy to see the back of rubber cambelts though, I've never liked them.