Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - sallonoroff

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2004 Peugeot 307SW (1.6 petrol) but in the 2 months we've had it there have been 5 or 6 occasions when it wouldn't start - Turn the key and simply nothing happens. There have also been countless other occasions when it has started but only on the 2nd or 3rd twist of the key (note: no turn-over on the first attempts - nothing at all - but then suddenly life).

On the occasions when the car has refused to start itself, then jumping or bumping has got it started on the first attempt.

The garage we bought from gave us a 3 month warranty so we've had it back to them a few times to look at. They say the battery is good, that the alternator is charging and can't see a reason why it should be acting as it is. On last visit they claimed to have tightened a belt that was a little loose - though i don't know if this was simply to placate me. (I told them that my brother-in-law heard our engine and said he could hear it "tweeting" and that might be a belt slipping)

The car is mainly used for short journeys (1-3 miles), so i did wonder if that might be resulting in the battery not charging properly but then one morning it didn't start was less than 12 hours after we'd just completed a long motorway journey. Similarly, i originally assumed the cold might be a problem but the vehicle sat outside under all the recent snow - not moving for a week - and then fired up first time when we finally came to use it. That the problem is so unpredictable is more of a pain than anything else - it means my wife is scared to take the kids out in it.

I am assuming it is a battery / alternator issue but then i'm no expert when it comes to these matters so wondered if someone here might be able to suggest another possible cause?

Would a new battery be worth a shot? Insist that the garage replace the alternator under the warranty? Something else?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by sallonoroff on 15/12/2010 at 13:23

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - tdc

Problem sounds electronic,in which case it`s a matter of checking fault diagnosis read-outs which the garage can do, replacing faulty components accordingly.

As far as a faulty battery is concerned, strange phenomena do occasionally occur ....would suggest putting on your lights before trying to start.Yes,I know that`s not normally advisable due to extra current drain but it`ll tell you if it`s something weird going on with your battery internals.N.B:-After reading about exploding batteries on this site,I would think twice about standing next to one of the latest SFL units when current was being supplied from/replenished to it.(Probably more likely to be hit by a meteorite than have a battery explode in your face but...)

If your lights stay on and there is not even an attempt from your starter motor to turn the engine then you know fault is not battery related.

Occasionally ignition switches wear out,have you tried slowly releasing the key from against the switch`s spring resistance after failing to start.With a dodgy switch sometimes you`ll get a positive connection like this.We are programmed to release key quickly,try releasing pressure slowly.

Of course you could just have a stuck/dirty/faulty starter solenoid or dirty/worn commutator/brushes?

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - injection doc
before you spend any money, take a step back! you say when it won't start it starts with jump leads?according to your post, so next time it doesn't start you need to check the battery voltage. If its below about 12.2volts then either something is draining the battery or the battery is faulty. If it fires instantly with a jump lead then you need to concentrate of battery condition & whether something in the car is running the battery down.
the other two possibiliteis is the solonoid on the starter is lazy, if you can reach it & tap it with a piece of wood whilst the ign switch is in the start position & it starts this will indicate a starter fault. Ensure car is out of gear & be prepared for it to fire up !
Ignition switches do wear out on peugeots.
what make of battery is fitted at present? is it grey in colour by any chance ?
Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - injection doc

i seem to remeber having a similar problem before where a 10mm nut securing a main supply to the BIS under the dash was loose, sometimes it made contact & other times it didn't. Worth a check

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - sallonoroff

Many thanks for the replies.

The car was actually with the garage again when i made my original post and the outcome was they decided to change the battery. They are "almost certain" that was the problem. I remain unconvinced at present but only time will tell i suppose.

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - Robbie C

I have been reading this thread with interest as we have a 54 plate 307 SW and have been experiencing exactly the same problems. Have taken it to a non peugeot garage but they cannot find the fault saying it could be that battery, starter motor, alternator, spark plugs etc. Ideally, dont want to take it to the local dealer as I dont like them very much.

Have you found the cure to your problem i.e. has changing the battery sorted your problem?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol, 04 plate - Problems starting - Nigel Hay

Hi All,

I own a Peugeot 307 SW 1.6L Petrol 2002 model. I had similar problems of starting the car which would be a nightmare in the mornings. It would also miss frequently and would stall especiall on low gears like 1st, 2nd and reverse. The agents in my country are absolutely useless because they dont emplyee professionally trained mechanics. Having a software to check ECU is not sufficient enough, you need people with brains to find out where exactly the problem is. To cut a long story short, i got fed up with the agents and found myself a good freelance mechanic. He had the necessary tools to ceck my ECU as well as a clear and logical mind to deduce the issues. Because of him, I was able to find the real issue why my 307 was stalling. This is what we found.

1. Spark plugs were misfiring on almost all cylinders
2. Ignition coil was burnt in one of the two coils that supply to the 4 spark plugs
3. Solenoid switch was malfuctioning.

I replaced these 3 things and Volla!!! She runs perfectly and doesnt miss at all. Even in the most coldest of mornings I can now turn on the ignition and she starts in one shot!!

Hope this helps you guys..