Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - kmidderigh

I have a 2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 that has been runnung fine (and fully servivced) for many years. However in the the last few months it developed a potentially dangerous fault. On occassions the engine will cut out whilst driving (dashboard lights remain on but engine mangement light remains off) .

Twice the car has restarted whilst slowing down before we came to halt and once the car did not recover at all. Once the car has stopped it cant be restarted for about 30-45 minutes. The engine turns over and the starter motor will engage (tried it in first gear and it pulls the car forward slightly) but it wont fire up into life. Also on three occassions after driving the car fine from cold in the morning, when returning to the car it wont start with the same symptons.

THe car has been into the main dealer twice and they could not find any faults, its currently in there again as my wife now refuses to drive it anymore (probably a safe decision). If after the third trip to the dealer they still cant find anything (as invariably by the time it reaches the dealer - even on a recovery vehicle - it starts again!) I guess I will need to ask the garage to start replacing the most likely parts that could be responsible.

Can anyone suggest what are the most likely causes of this problem ? (a number of people have suggested cam/engine timing sensors or possibly immobilisor fault).

Thanks.

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - Peter D

Is the fuel pump running during cranking and have you established if there is a spark when it will not start. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - madf

Sounds like: crankshaft position sensor.

Symptons : ignition failure. No fault codes. Random failure.

Fine wires inside crack with age and when warm will expand and break circuit.

Don't know cost but about £20 I guess so worth changing and seeing what happens.

Edited by madf on 29/10/2010 at 16:14

Yep, exactly where I was going. Really surprised the dealer did not change it. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - madf

In my experience, Peter, main dealers are a waste of space with older cars.

Mots cars drop out of dealer servicing when >5 years old so mechanics have no experience of older cars... except one owner low mileage ones perhaps...

Can't see many Ford dealers servicing many 7 year old Mondeos so they will be unused to this kind of problem..

Edited by madf on 29/10/2010 at 19:52

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - kmidderigh

engine is sparking when it wont start - not sure about fuel pump running. is there an easy way to tell ?

thanks for the advice - will get that sensor changed first.

Edited by kmidderigh on 02/11/2010 at 14:54

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - Collos25

You could check to see if fuel is arriving at the injectors.

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - elekie&a/c doctor

If there is a good spark in the non start condition,then i can't see it being a fault with the crank sensor.As suggested,I would check the fuel sysytem,especially the fuel pump/wiring under back seat.hth

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - ajs2

It one of the two fuel or elect. You have a spark which makes me think fuel.

Without a pressure test, the only thing you can do is listen for the pump working. Check fuses too

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - chim289

Hi, this is the exact same problem as we are having with ours, although ours is a 2001 2.0 tddi.

It's been running a bit 'lumpy' from time to time, but each time we put it down to the type of diesel, and as soon as that diesel was out of the system and a different brand in, it was fine. Timing hasn't been brilliant and we've reset the ecu seemingly curing the problem. However a few nights ago after running fine we were almost home and as pulling away from lights it started bunny hopping down the road, luckily only a few hundred yards from home. Next day had to go collect the kids from my mums, car started fine and running fine. A couple of miles down the road just as we were getting on the m'way it started surging slightly, gradually getting worse as we went on. Got to the point where it wouldn't go over 60 before going into limp mode. Luckily next junction not far and managed to roll up slip road before it finally came to a stop. Was able to get it off the road by winding it on the starter motor. Car was turning over but not firing. Breakdown came out, couldn't get it started so waited for recovery. Just as truck arrived it fired into life about an hour and a half after dying. Drove home down the a road, ran like crap, wouldn't go over 2000rpm for a few miles, then suddenly cleared and ran fine.

It also ran fine later that evening, and again the following morning while we went out to get parts. We changed the fuel filter & crankshaft sensor which was covered in iron filings. Car ran fine with new sensor, but took it into garage with suspected dmf wearing due to iron filings. Car was running better than ever, garage checked it over, no probs with dmf but driveshaft knackered. That's been changed, they took it out to test it, and while they were out it started coughing and spluttering, now won't start so stuck at garage.

No codes have come up at any time, no engine management light etc. No doubt tomorrow morning it will start no probs. All the mechanics there are pretty miffed, said they had someone in a while ago with diesel mondeo, same probs, spent over £3k trying to figure out what was wrong, went to Ford and numerous diagnostics places with no joy.

It's a 9year old car so obviously don't want to be throwing money at it so any suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

ok changed the crank position sensor and all was good for about 50 miles. Went to start it tonight and same problem back again

I've asked one of the advisors on here as well and he replied with the following common causes for Mondeos cutting out :

1.Contamination of Air Mass Sensor. If this picks up any contamination then the temperature and cooling of the hot wire sensor will be affected and the mixture adjusted wrongly. I managed to get a small feather stuck to mine!!!!!, clean with a soft paint brush and be careful

2. Air Mass Sensor electrical connectors. These corrode and loosen very easily and can give all sorts of weird problems. Ford do a retrofit gold connecter kit for this. I clean mine regularly with WD40 and make sure all the contacts are tight. The clamps that go over the pins have habit of coming loose. I believe that is caused by vibration from the Ford Plenum. When I removed this for fitting a K&N the loosening seems to have stopped (I think the shorter plenum stub is better supported and vibrates less now)

3.Air Idle Speed Control Valve. This causes more than its fair share of problems and is a maze of small passages just waiting to get choked up. Either replace it (around £50 last time I asked) or first see if you can give the thing a good clean out (Petrol works).

I've had 2. checked out as well and theres no corrosion issues there.

Wondering if it could be releated to corrosion or damp/bad connection somewhere as I think every time its had a wont start incident it been cold and damp.

I'll look into the fuel pump wiring issue.

Are there any other electrical connectors/earths that are prone to corrossion ?

NB : got my laptop connected to the ODB port this time when wouldnt start. Running the ProScan software but not really sure what i'm looking for or if theres anything I could see. One thing i did check was the error codes : non-recorded.

Edited by kmidderigh on 09/11/2010 at 21:56

one other thing I should also mention : i have a unichip(piggyback ecu) installed on my st220. had it for many years with no problem. checked with the installer and according to them if it ever developed a fault it wouldnt recover and then run ok most of the time. once it failed that would be it. So i have discounted this for the time being (but will consider having it removed if I run out of options)

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - elekie&a/c doctor

None of the above sensors/actuators would cause a cutting out and non start condition.I would be inclined to remove the unichip and see what happens.The engine management system on these is well proven and exceptionally reliable and in fact fairly crude compared to current models.hth

Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - injection doc
I understand you have established there is a spark when it won't start but what about fuel pressure and injector pulsing ? are these firing ?
I would remove piggy back tune up kit and test then check wiring and establish what causing it to fail.

In the past i have bought a set of neon/led bulbs and run wires to all the suspect components , lableled them all on the dash and driven till it stops, that will help in tracing what is failing, even bulb up the ecu supply ( as you say the light doesn't come on, bit suspicious that as it should come on when it cuts out anyway) and wire fuel pump supply & injectors etc, this is the most sucessfull way.

After cutting out and then restarting perhaps after much cranking, does it start cleanly or is it rough. Do you have a meter witha 10 amp current range. I ask this as a simple test is to remove the fuel pump fuse and measure the current whilst cranking. Regards Peter

thanks for all the suggestions - i'm hoping i wont need them (fingers crossed). It broke down again on my drive way the other day and I havent been able to restart it at all this time so hoping somethings finally bust for good - and hence easy to find.

its back in the garage at present and i'm waiting for the verdict...

Car now fixed - it turned out to be the unichip that had failed. once it was removed the car started up again fine.

talked to the chip installers and they had never heard of a failure before but apparently the firmware can get corrupted so sending it back to them for examination
Ford Mondeo ST220 2003 - Engine stops whilst driving and wont restart - over30
I speak from bitter experience using these performance enhancing chips and filters.

The result, one dead engine!

Ford spend thousands developing ways to bring air into the inlet manifold, remove exhaust effectively etc

In my experience these aftermarket tuning parts just reduce the life of a good engine, the only thing they do is make the engine make more noise, burn more fuel and wear out faster.

The ST220 already has great performance for a ford, especially for a non turbo engine, why tamper with it.

tuning can greatly improve the driving experiance if done correctly - and usually after a lot of research. The ST220 is hard to tune - mainly due to the catalytic converters being housed within the exhaust manifold!

When I tune a car its not usually for outright power but to improve engine responiveness throughout the existing power range - this usually only results in a minor improvement to overall power. In my opinion the most needed adjustment to the ST220 is the suspension - its just to soft for a car that fast.