Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - rouxbarb

My daughters Almera Tino 2.2 Diesel wouldn't start.On investigation I found that when I turned the key the starter turned but not the engine as if the starter was not engaging.I had the starter overhauled and the same thing happened.I took the vehicle to the place that repaired the starter.They checked it again and found all ok.This afternoon they informed me that the ring gear has moved about an inch from where it should be.Has anyone ever come across this problem and any advice will be appreciated.It is an X reg/2000 model with 98000 miles.

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - Collos25

The ring gear is normally a pressure fit onto the flywheel ie two different types of metal the ring is heated put on the flywheel and when it cools its immposible to move replacement was done the opposite way round.I have never heard of one moving but there is always a first time.The fact that it has moved should not stop it starting as the ring gear is the same 360 degrees it was common practice to move the whole flywheel round 90 degrees to an unworn section a flywheel will always stops in the same place therefore wear in the same place. You need to remove the starter and make sure the starter cog is flying forward on the spindle and there is no wear.I would think that the problem is wear on the starter but if the ring gear has moved backwards as opposed to rotary then its in danger of falling off and wrecking the whole engine and gearbox the solution maybe a new flywheel with ring gear .I would be interested in what you find.

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - Peter.N.

Does it have a DMF? If so could it be disintegrating?

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - bathtub tom

My daughter had a Skoda Estelle. This had a pre-engaged starter that had all the symptoms of an inertia starter with worn starter ring gear.

I cured it by using a Moggie Minor carburettor gasket behind the solenoid to delay the spin of the thing until later in the operation. Got a mention in the owner's club newsletter.

Probably doesn't help the OP.

Edited by bathtub tom on 31/07/2010 at 00:52

"Does it have a DMF? If so could it be disintegrating"

What has that got to do with the ring gear?

Is the ring gear not on the flywheel?

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - rouxbarb

Apparently, it has moved backwards.I will go and see for myself when they strip it in about a weeks time.Will let you know.

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - piston power

I too have turned the fly wheel 90 deg to fix the problem but if the ring gear is cheap enough fit a new one.

Is the ring gear not on the flywheel

I thing you should look at see how a flywheel is constructed it would not matter whether there was a clutch or not never mind what sort it is it would not effect the ring gear.

If it indeed has moved back then its probably cracked but I have never seen this before I know its a problem to you but its still very interseting from an engineering point of view.

I would have thought the parts are not all that expensive it will be the labour thats expensive..

No but a disintegrating flywheel would.

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - piston power

No but a disintegrating flywheel would.

Only if the bits jammed inbetween the starter motor and ring gear,But that is not this isuee is it?

It's that it's worn teeth on ring gear/starter stopping at same place, if the dmf or the clutch dropped to bits this would not stop the engine cranking over.

Peter stop digging holes

My understanding of dual mass flywheels must be lacking, I assume from the comments that the gear ring is on the solid side. Never having taken one to pieces I was making unfounded assumptions, I will shut up now.

Peter,nobody will know the true reason of the problem till its stripped down niether you nor I,the whole fly wheel could be disintergrating but I very much doubt it because a fragment of flywheel coming adrift spinning at 3-4000rpm would make a terrible mess with the result the car in its present form would never go again.

Nissan Almera Tino - Starter/Ring gear - Peter D

The ring gear may have cracked so is now loose. Regards Peter