How to stop killing pedestrians? UPDATE! - Hurman
Thankyou to everyone who contribuited to my thread regarding killing pedestrians. As you may remember I was gathering information for a presentation for a job interview. Unfortunately I was 'not successful this time' but I must say the local council involved were very professional and had the decency to phone me up to discuss the interview.

They felt the presentation was excellent and congratulated me on my research. They have employed someone with 10 years experience in the road planning field so I can't really argue with that!

There is a silver lining to this cloud in the form of a similar position within the same council in 6 months time, so fingers crossed....

Thankyou all again, your input was a great confidence boost!

H
How to stop killing pedestrians? UPDATE! - HF
Best of luck in 6 months time :)
How to stop killing pedestrians? UPDATE! - Obsolete
So did you gain any insights into pedestrian deaths, above and beyond what has passed through the forums? Seem to remember you were given some links to loads of info. And I am too lazy to spend time trawling them. :>
How to stop killing pedestrians? UPDATE! - Hurman
Leif

I found one of the most interesting documents to be the governments Safer Roads For Tomorrow.

www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadsafety/strategy/tomorrow/...m

If you have time visit this address and have a look through what they are proposing to do in the next 7 years. It is basically a manual for all local councils to follow and implement the directives within.

Regarding how to stop killing pedestrians, well that was only one of several issues. There are a lot of schemes in place to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads but one statement sticks in my mind. Children today are more likely to travel to school by car which prevents them from developing their risk assesment skills. They sit in a nice warm environment protected from the elements and their parents are making all the decisions during the trip. They are not gaining valuable life skills sitting in a car and only get the opportunity to practive what, if anything, they have been taught about road safety at the weekend, that's if they are not being driven around in the car!!

On the other hand, the child that walks to school most days will have a better understanding of the risks created by our roads and is possibly less likely to be run over. Incidently our roads are some of the safest in Europe but our statistics for child deaths on the road, not just pedestrians, are terrible. There are also unproportionally high amounts of ethnic minorities killed in car crashes in the UK.

There are some surprising figures in the document and it makes interesting reading for all road users and it's free! If you have time go and have a look do so. I enjoyed doing all the reasearch into what turned out to be an excellent presentation - their words not mine - and will persue this line of work and try and get my foot in the door.
How to stop killing pedestrians? UPDATE! - Obsolete
Hurman. many thanks. I'll check out the link. Leif.
How to stop killing pedestrians? UPDATE! - cockle {P}
Hurman, sorry you didn't get the post.

They have employed someone with 10 years experience in the
road planning field so I can't really argue with that!

A little tongue in cheek perhaps but I think I might argue that in my experience of road planners in my neck of the woods 10 years experience would probably be a good reason to have not employed him!

Good luck in 6 months time.

Cockle