Brainstorming the future - technology in 2020. - oilrag

A chance to put on record for posterity, your predictive abilities on technological advances that will surprise us in 2020.

I`m thinking of how some changes seem to come out of nowhere (at least to the general public)

For excample - when I saw the first `double housebrick` mobile phone with it`s WW2 style pull out anntennae - it seemed very similar to past radio telephones and no way would I have predicted the modern, palm of the hand smartphone - with all of it`s features.

When you reflect on the hundreds and thousands of years of our species dominance on the planet - it seems grasping possibilites has been difficult - with hundreds of generations being born, living and dying , ice ages coming and going - and bones piling up in caves. Little if any changes, (with a nod to clovis points and so on) .

All the time, with a brain the same as our own. (and to be honest, who knows perhaps even better - honed by evolutionary forces that apply less, now )

As a further example. The grace and elegence of the pointed arch In medieval cathedrals. Letting light into the interior and putting stresses into the ground through flying buttresses. Well within the capabilites of for example, the Egyptions and easily demonstratable in minature but just needing the `spark` of insight and of imagination.

So, bearing in mind that this thread may (even if only in imagination) pop up out of the forum record in 2020 - what do you think the unimagined technological surprises will be at that time?

Regards

oilrag

Brainstorming the future - technology in 2020. - Diamond

One thing for sure there will still be no viable electric cars, by that I mean one with a range of even 300 miles and rechargeable in 15 minutes, which really is what is needed.

Brainstorming the future - technology in 2020. - Avant

You put your finger on it when you mention "the `spark` of insight and of imagination". It's inventions / discoveries like penicillin, the small electric motor and the electronic chip, and of course the internal combustion engine and, indeed the wheel, that make it possible to leap forward after long periods of stagnation.

The 19th and 20th centuries made more advances in these areas than happened in the 1000+ years before that. I believe that the average human life expectancy in Britain was about 50 years in 1000 AD. It still was in 1900, but is half as much again now. I don't think the horse and cart / coach progressed hugely during those years either, but look what happened in the last 200 years.

Exactly why the stagnation, then the leaps forward happen as they do, I've no idea. But they do. Maybe the fuel cell is the next 'leap' - I agree that it probably won't be the battery.

Edited by Avant on 19/06/2010 at 01:09

Brainstorming the future - technology in 2020. - billy25

the big invention of the future will be the trithingyum diode! - i cant tell you too much about it because it hasn`t been invented yet. It is rumoured to run so fast that it knocks five minutes off half an hour!