Re-occurring defect - ohsoslow

Last year my daughter bought a 10 year old car from a dealer, all seemed well for a while then the head gasket started weeping into one of the cylinders causing rough running 'til the water had been cleared.

The dealer took the car back and replaced the head gasket (I assume) and all was well for the last six months. Now the problem is back.

I went with her when she bought the car and did the usual checks for foam under the oil filler cap etc, which of course was clear and still is, nor any sign of water in the oil.

To date she hasn't approached the dealer again, but what are her rights, if any, to a proper repair.

The dealer was very helpful and carried out the first repair without any argument, even lending daughter a car. I have suggested going back and negotiating a reduced price for another repair, including machining the head if necessary.

She cannot afford the likely cost of a full head gasket repair, nor another car. This is now more than a year from her buying the car and about ten months from the dealer's repair.

Thanks in advance. OSS

Re-occurring defect - LucyBC

Given the age of the car and the time since the purchase she is very unlikely to have any legal rights in this case. See if you can negotiate anything but in legal terms he has no obligation.