Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - Steptoe
While strolling down to the shops this pm, I noticed that a car parked in a side lane had a handwritten note tucked under the windscreen, so couldn't resist nipping across and having a look (I'm like that)

It said (all in scrawled capitals): Dear Meriva Owner, if you park here any more I am going 2 burn your car to the ground

The car was parked against a garden fence adjacent to a driveway but on the opposite side of the driveway to the property to which drive and fence belong, so not in view from the windows and not causing any obstruction to anyone entering or exiting the driveway.

This lane is lined by mostly terraced properties, very few of which have off street parking, so there are huge parking problems but, to make the issue interesting, the surface is gravelled so the lane is probably unadopted.

In this case I think the residents *do* actually own the road, presumably the bit outside their property up to the centre of the road so, leaving out the question of whether in any case Meriva buyers deserve to have their vehicles torched, are they entitled to claim the bit outside their houses for their own parking purposes?
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - b308
Won't it all boil down to ownership of the land and what the deeds say... I know that when I was a kid we lived on an unadopted road and Mum and Dad did indeed own the whole of the raod outside the house (no houses opposite), so although everyone had right of way i suppose they could have stopped people parking...

Sounds like the note writer was at the end of their teather!

A "Private Land - No Parking" sign would seem the way forward if they can prove ownership...

Edited by b308 on 29/01/2010 at 20:19

Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - primeradriver
If the residents do own the road, would they be within their rights to box the Meriva in good and proper and then all disappear down the pub?

They wouldn't then be legally allowed to move their cars and the Meriva owner would have to wait until morning.

Would wager that would get rid of the problem ;)
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - bathtub tom
If it is a private road, I'd suggest the Meriva parking on it was a civil matter.

If the Meriva was found burnt out I'd think that could be criminal damage, especially if the note had been retained.
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - Fullchat
"..........................especially if the note had been retained."

And guess who's DNA is all over it?? Ooh Err!

Threats to commit Criminal Damage is also an offence. ;-]
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - L'escargot
Would wager that would get rid of the problem ;)

Alternatively it might result in their cars being vandalised by the Meriva owner! And if the residents were down the pub they might not be able to prove a thing!
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - Halmer
Maybe the author assumed that a Meriva driver would be a little squirt by default?
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - dimdip
If it is private, they could temporarily hire out parking enforcement to one of those nice clamping companies?
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - David Horn
My preferred technique:

xkcd.com/562/

Caption: "Police reported three dozen cheerful bystanders, yet no one claims to have seen who did it."

Edited by David Horn on 30/01/2010 at 22:36

Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - Nsar
At least they wrote "dear" at the start of then note, otherwise you might take offence.
Drastic remedy for inconsiderate parking? - Steptoe
Since Friday I have been anxiously listening for the sound of sirens, but I am able to report that, as of last night, the Meriva is still in exactly the same position and the note, despite the snow showers, is still hanging on to the wiper blade.

The recent snowy weather has in fact highlighted how some cars are not used from one week to another. This begs two questions, why keep a car if it's not in regular use, and what would happen if every car owner decided to go for a drive at the same time :-(