What is it with Insurance companies - NorfolkDriver
As some of you may recall, I was hit by a council worker back in June.

I got onto my insurance company who will only tell me whats going on if I ask and their latest trick made me laugh.

They have told his insurers that they are starting legal proceedings and could they have his version of events. These were received and they informed me that this will go down as a 50/50 even if taken to court.

I have since pointed out that his version of events shows my offside front hitting the rear of his van, not my nearside front disappearing under the side as he came over me. I thought this might be worth pointing out as it was the nearside front that MY insurance company paid to get repaired. I also told the insurance company to keep hold of the panel that was removed as this was evidence. There was something about the bozo that hit me that I couldnt put my finger on at the time but looking back I should have called the police and had him drink/drug tested.

Maybe this bozo has a habit of hitting other people and got me mixed up with someone else.

1. Why didnt the insurance company pick up on the fact that he has shown the wrong side of my car being hit by his van?

2. Why do they insist it will go down as a 50/50.

3. Wont the court take into account the fact that this bozo has already lied to try and cover his back and will therefore lie again?
What is it with Insurance companies - Altea Ego
Witness Witness Witness.

Confidious he say, you no have one, you get 50/50
What is it with Insurance companies - paul2007
a witness can easily appear.
What is it with Insurance companies - Alanovich
When my car was reversed in to last summer, the other party did not respond to his insurers when they asked him to. I told my insurers that if I didn't get satisfaction then I would pursue the other driver's insurance company through the courts (after being advised to do so on this forum by the marvellous "jbif").

I think my insurers told them this, and they then agreed to settle the claim. It did not go down as 50/50, and I had no witnesses. My insureres never even suggested a 50/50. My damage was repaired at no cost to me. I did not lose my no claims, nor my excess.
What is it with Insurance companies - FotheringtonThomas
I got onto my insurance company who will only tell me whats going on if
I ask and their latest trick made me laugh.

Your insurance company work for you.

I have since pointed out that his version of events shows my offside front hitting
the rear of his van not my nearside front disappearing under the side as he
came over me.

If there's been a mistake, you should point it out in simple and pleasant terms.
1. Why didnt the insurance company pick up on the fact that he has shown
the wrong side of my car being hit by his van?

People do make mistakes. Point this one out to them.

2. Why do they insist it will go down as a 50/50.

Ask them.

3. Wont the court take into account the fact that this bozo has already lied
to try and cover his back and will therefore lie again?

If relevant. You could always take action yourself.
What is it with Insurance companies - bathtub tom
Nearside, offside. Many people have differing opinions over which is what.
Nearside offside. Many people have differing opinions over which is what.

No idea why - unless they're foreigners.
What is it with Insurance companies - paul2007
best to speak de plain english = eg, drivers side, passengers side, front, back or sides
Offside/nearside is plain English. It covers every car on the road in the UK. Drivers side, passengers side, do not.
What is it with Insurance companies - woodster
Paul, your post: ''a witness can easily appear. ''

Not proposing perjury, are you???
What is it with Insurance companies - grumpyscot
One reason why you should always, but always, keep a camera in the car - even if it's just a cheap disposable one. Our leasing company provides one with every vehicle for the very purpose of taking photographs of any collisions.
What is it with Insurance companies - L'escargot
One reason why you should always but always keep a camera in the car -
even if it's just a cheap disposable one.

I keep a single-use camera in my car, but on the only occasion that I needed it ~ when a car hit the rear of mine when I was stationary at a junction ~ when I got out of my car my hand was shaking so much that I couldn't use the camera!
What is it with Insurance companies - miata
Many people are completely misunderstood about insurance for cars.

They do not pursue claims on behalf of policyholders.

They provide cover in accordance with the terms of your individual policy.

Whether they decide to pursue their costs against another party is their decision.

It is up to a policy holder to chase a third party if they wish for uninsured losses themselves.
What is it with Insurance companies - Armitage Shanks {p}
What am I meant to get for the £20 or so that I pay each year for "Legal Protection"?
What is it with Insurance companies - SteelSpark
>> Nearside offside. Many people have differing opinions over which is what.
No idea why - unless they're foreigners.

I still have to think about it. To me intuitively "nearside" suggests near to the driver, but then I've always thought that the world revolves around me :)

A good example of a how to come up with a confusing term.

On my ship we use port and starboard...

Edited by SteelSpark on 13/01/2010 at 12:49

What is it with Insurance companies - Alby Back
The way I was taught to remember which way round port and starboard are is that left and port both have four letters. Apropos of not much.