Hpi - outstanding finance, multiple reg plates?.. - John.G
Hi guys,

Just did a HPi check on a car i'm buying (not paid for it yet). It states the car does not have outstanding finance, but a previous private reg does. The car's a CAT D write off, and the original reg was put on the car when it was written off. If the personalised reg is taken off a car, which has finance, does the finance relate purely to that personalised reg??

Bit confusing, but have a look a a screenprint of the HPi check i did (blacked out parts of the reg's for security reasons)...

i45.tinypic.com/2i1f29v.jpg
Hpi - outstanding finance, multiple reg plates?.. - Manatee
The finance relates to the car. If it's the same car, you need to make sure that the finance company no longer has an interest. They should have been paid out by the insurer.
Hpi - outstanding finance, multiple reg plates?.. - bell boy
ive never seen a hpi report like that one
mine always show the finance company that have an interest in the car
this car would seem to still have finance outstanding but obviously normally the insurer pays off the finance company direct but then you have to add in the fact that the payout might not cover the outstanding debt on the car
you really need to confirm that the insurer has paid out on this car the full amount needed and the finance company has no interest further in this car and its just a matter of hpi bringing their records up to date
you obviously then need an independant inspection of such a valuable car to ascertain why it was written off
to summarise outstanding finance has nothing to do with plates but is on the nuts bolts and tin behind it,one of the easiest ways to lose a lot of information on databases is to start moving number plates around and cause a smokescreen where catogorisation is lost within the detail.

or read the shorter post above that summarises nicely
Hpi - outstanding finance, multiple reg plates?.. - pd
It is normal for HPI to report any finance against a plate a car used to have, it will also state what that car now is.

For example, if a Ford once had the plate A1 ABC and A1 ABC is now on a 3-Series with finanace against a HPI check against the Focus will report it.

As long as the actual car you are concerned with is clear then don't worry about it.
Thanks for the info guys.

I think PD is right, if the Jaguar did have finance it would be illustrated at the top, but instead it has the all clear.

The car in question is from a salvage yard, and doesn't come with a V5 or any documentation. Damage was to the rear bumper, n/s door and wing, and front bumper.

I'm going to ask the salvage guy, but what happens if he doesn't know anything about it! Who can I contact to confirm 100% that the finance issue has been settled?...
Hpi - outstanding finance, multiple reg plates?.. - bell boy
why not hpi the chassis number this will confirm whether your bargain is lien free
the salvage guy will know everything but its whether he wants to tell you or not or he might even be forbidden by certain insurance companies from giving you certain information
as i say at the end of the day you must be paying at least £5000 for this car so you need to know if its free of any interest from a finance house
i assume your savvy enough to not take the damage as face value because cat d these days can unfortunately hide a multitude of other sins
HPi the chassis number?

It's far more than £5k, try £18.7k.

Tbh the damage pretty much speaks for itself. But what are the multitude of other sins you're refering to???