96 1.6 Oil change and door lock - Focus_Driver
I have a megane that specifies (recommends) 10w40 oil but I have 5w30 oil. Would it be OK to use 5w30 for an oil change? Its only a car I intend to keep for a few months.
I cannot open the rear doors on the car. Initially I couldn't open the doors from the inside but it would open from the outside so I thought it was the child saftey lock. I switched it but now the doors don't open at all! Any ideas what the problem could be?
96 1.6 Oil change and door lock - Falkirk Bairn
Its an old car, probably been on semi-synthetic for years (at best)

Fullly synthetic could move some carbon or other deposits in the engine so best to keep with 10/40.

Not my words but my Indie on whether to put 5/30 in my 11 yr old car.

{Please don't try and bypass the swear filter - remember it's easier for me to delete a post than it is to edit}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/11/2009 at 14:23

The 5w30 is actually semi synthetic, £15
96 1.6 Oil change and door lock - Falkirk Bairn
The 5w30 is actually semi synthetic £15

Castrol Website:

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 combining Intelligent Molecules and fully synthetic technology:
No, the oil I have is semi synthetic.
96 1.6 Oil change and door lock - Simon
5w30 oil is available in both a fully synthetic state and a semi-synthetic state. It all depends on which brand you purchase and which oil you select from their range.

5w30 should be fine in the Renault Megane. 10w40 is probably the optimum grade hence why it is recommended but most vehicles are tolerant and a grade or two either side of the optimum recommendation. It will be just fine.
96 1.6 Oil change and door lock - Fernando P
If you put a lighter oil like 5W/30 in an older car that has been used to the thicker Semi Syn 10/40 grade, you could find that the oil seals at both ends of the crankshaft do not hold the lighter oil as well as they should and, as I have experienced, you may well end up with leaking oil as mentioned by "Falkirk Bairn" above.
Is it worth taking the chance for the saving of ~GBP15 especially if you are to part company with the car soon? The answer is no!