Private parking dilemma - Statistical outlier
A little advice needed.

Someone recently parked my car in an airport carpark. Despite the signs being quite clear, the driver didn?t see them at 5 am and left the car parked in what turned out to be a 10 minute bay for three days. In (weak) mitigation, a whole line of cars had tickets for having done the same thing, so clearly a common error.

Given the above, I would in some ways say the driver is bang to rights, and they should pay up. Thing is, NCP want £100, reduced to £50 if paid in 14 days, which seems excessive at 5 x the parking charge.

So, what should the driver do? NCP are clear this is a ?Parking Contravention Charge? resulting from an ?offence? or ?violation? of parking for longer than 10 mins in a restricted bay, so they are not trying it on in that way. They are clear it is a payment for breach of contract. The notice was served on the windscreen of the car, and the driver leaving the carpark was not recorded as the barriers were out of order.

So, should the driver pay or ignore it? As the registered keeper, am I under any obligation to act?

Advice, legal and moral, invited.
Private parking dilemma - rtj70
Pay and get the person who parked it to repay, i.e. the "someone".

I parked a month or so ago at Manchester Airport from around 7am (Earlier I think!) to 6pm (same day). It cost in short term car park about £23! Claimed on expenses but ouch. So for three days £50 could be seen as a bargain.

P.S. Got a coffee and bacon sandwich and orange juice.... that cost close to £10 too! (also expenses due to time of day).

Edited by rtj70 on 13/11/2009 at 00:23

Private parking dilemma - oilrag
Pay the £50 yourself and don`t mention it to the other driver - that is, if they are a friend or employee, who would be unlikely to be in the same situation again. (In any case pay yourself and be judged in the larger scheme of things by your generosity)

They were doing their best driving through the night for you and are best left with the feeling of having been of service, rather than the everlasting guilt of being careless and having done you some harm.

Furthermore, £50 is chicken feed to you......... ;-)

Private parking dilemma - daveyjp
It's a private ticket. See sticky at top of the thread list. I'd ignore it.
Private parking dilemma - woodster
That's right. There's no liability as registered keeper as there's no law broken. This is a wholly civil matter. There's only a breach of contract if NCP can prove the contract itself, and then they have to prove who accepted the contract (ie who the driver was AND that they saw the signs.) I'd wait. If NCP get your details from DVLA then you might respond along the lines that yes, it's your but that you didn't park it there. Doubtless they'll ask who did, but you have no obligation whatsoever to tell them. Up to them to take whatever next step they see fit. The thread about this doesn't go on to mention the Lord Justice Woolf reforms/recommendations in respect of civil claims. cases like these (low value disputes) are bang in this area. The courts expect to see both sides acting reasonably, making full disclosure to one another and attempting resolution before the court will entertain it. NCP will be aware that they are on sticky ground with a) the charge they are trying to recover, as they will have to prove loss to that value and b) they are looking like they are levying a 'fine', which they have absolutely no power whatsoever to do.
Private parking dilemma - Pugugly
Morally I'd pay it - it isn't exactly exorbitant is it ? The driver was in the wrong.
"The driver was in the wrong"

On what basis?
Private parking dilemma - maz64
"The driver was in the wrong"
On what basis?

(Possibly) preventing other people from using the 10 minute bay?
Exactly - seems cheap for three days parking - I had to pay 25 quid to park at Liverpool Airport to fly to a conference in the Isle of Man last year !
Private parking dilemma - maz64
I lost my parking ticket while shopping in Reading earlier this year, and had to pay £20 to get out of the car park! So yes, £50 for 3 days at an airport seems surprisingly cheap (but it's still a lot of beer).
Private parking dilemma - Armitage Shanks {p}
NCP haven't actually suffered any financial loss as the use of the bay was free, if I read the cicrcumstances correctly.
Private parking dilemma - Badwolf
NCP haven't actually suffered any financial loss as the use of the bay was free
if I read the cicrcumstances correctly.

Exactly. I think that, should NCP take it court, they would be very unlikely to obtain a judgement in their favour, or if they did it would be for a nominal sum.

The driver of your vehicle did not fail to pay a parking fee so NCP were not deprived of any income because of the driver's error.

Personally, I'd do as advised above - inform NCP that you did not park the car and let them make the next move.

Good luck.
Private parking dilemma - Altea Ego
>Exactly. I think that, should NCP take it court, they would be very unlikely to obtain a >judgement in their favour, or if they did it would be for a nominal sum

I think they would win - easily too. How much is short term parking at the airport? £2 an hour? This is the excepted rate for an airport. 72 hours = £144 pounds. You parked on NCP controlled property AND rightfully deprived them of £144 in revenue. Its almost bordering on theft. 50 quid is dirt cheap.
That's a fair point, AE. I'd not considered that, by parking in the "10 minute bay", Gordon M's driver could be accused by NCP of avoiding paying for his parking.

However, I still think that NCP would have to prove that Gordon M's driver parked there on purpose with the express intention of depriving them of income.
How could they win? Who do they serve Court papers on?

Edited by daveyjp on 13/11/2009 at 11:22

How could they win? Who do they serve Court papers on?

I would serve the summons on the registered keeper. They are responsible for where the car is.

In the airport senario you cant afford not to follow this up to conclusion otherwise anarchy would break out.
Serve it on the keeper, they go to Court say they didn't park it, now what?

AE, you make a fair point, except the full and correct fee for parking (£22 as it happens) was paid in advance, and the car was in the carpark only for the time, albeit not place, it should have been.

The thing I am struggling with myself is that while the car was indeed in the wrong place, I can't see any way this made a loss for NCP. In fact, the driver's stupidity means that there was an extra space available for three days.

To be honest, I'd probably be happy to pay £20 or so, but £50-100 does rankle.
Private parking dilemma - Optimist
Pay up!

Optimist, why? They have suffered no loss, no harm, and while they are owed an apology, they have no right to impose a fine.
The thing I am struggling with myself is that while the car was indeed in
the wrong place I can't see any way this made a loss for NCP. In
fact the driver's stupidity means that there was an extra space available for three days.

SQ

Well, in that case NCP have no claim for the driver or from you. The correct fee was paid so NCP have not suffered financially.

Ignore the 'request' for payment and, if you do write to them, do NOT sign the letter.

Good luck.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/11/2009 at 14:31

AE you make a fair point except the full and correct fee for parking (£22
as it happens) was paid in advance and the car was in the carpark only
for the time albeit not place it should have been.

Ah in that case then yes - they have no loss so no case to answer.
Private parking dilemma - boxsterboy
>>Ah in that case then yes - they have no loss so no case to
answer.

In fact, as the OP (sorry, someone) paid £22 for parking but didn't use the bay he could counterclaim for a refund of the £22 on the basis that the bay was being used by another paying customer!

But seriously, this is a Notice to file in the bin. NCP can, legally speaking, go and swivel on it. (And it's not as if they are paupers)
Private parking dilemma - Andrew-T
Don`t mention it to the other driver.

So how do you prevent it happening again (unless you know that can't happen) ?
Is this the same gordon who was chastising people the other day for complaining when their insurance premiums increased? Surely not.

As people have said, £50 for three days in a space that must be very close to the terminal is a bargain.

I don't know. These youngsters and their penny-pinching attitudes!

Chastised! Me? That was not chastisement, that was jealousy - I pay a fortune every year :-)
The fact parking was paid for would make them look even more foolish in Court.
Private parking dilemma - jbif
Advice, legal and moral, invited. >>

Gordon - see
forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t42656.ht...l
"NCP Parking Contravention Charge Notice"

www.reclaimtheright.com/forum/parking-traffic-offe...l

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffi...l

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffi...l

Jbif, thanks, I'd seen most of those, but all the NCP threads refer to claims of byelaws being breached. There is no such breach here - no mention of byelaws.

Annoyingly I can't check the state of the signage on google maps as, unsurprisingly, street view is not available at the airport.
There is no such breach here - no mention of byelaws. >>

Can you tell us which Airport Car Park it was?

Yes, it was BHX Long Stay 1.

Spaces shown here: tinyurl.com/yf2xx6k

In the driver's defence, at 5:30 am it was dark, raining, and all the spaces were full except the fifth from top. Apparently the signs were not spotted then, although there is a "10 minutes max" sign about 40 cm across affixed to the pay machine visible as a white shelter in the image.

Driver can't remember seeing any terms and conditions signage.
terms and conditions >>

All I can find is the t&c from: www.ncp.co.uk/nbook/ncpbook.asp

Parking Charge Notices issued for breaches of parking restrictions

31. We and our Agent may issue Parking Charge Notices for breaches of the restrictions, including but not limited to, parking:
a. in an area in the Car Park not specifically designated for parking, or in a restricted area in the Car Park;
b. beyond the bay markings in a single designated Car Parking bay; and
c. a Vehicle in a bay reserved for another purpose, including but not limited to: .... etc. ec.

32. Details of the procedure from time to time in force for paying a Parking Charge Notice or appealing against the issue of a Parking Charge Notice are set out on the back of each Parking Charge Notice.

I do not see any mention of bye-laws for Airport car parks.

What does the charge notice say regarding appeals?
See the post on the pepipoo link by "ormy" dated at Fri, 17 Jul 2009 - 15:59

Gordon says: >> They have suffered no loss, no harm, and while they are owed an apology, they have no right to impose a fine. >>

How are they (NCP) to keep people out of the ten minute bays other than by fining them?

It is incredibly annoying to arrive at an airport or station to find the picking-up and dropping-off bays all in use, but that's life.

If, however, they're being used by someone who leaves a car there for three days then the level of inconvenience is huge. If NCP allow that it's just unfair to people trying to use the ten minute bay for ten minutes.

So Gordon and/or his driver should admit he/she/they are legally and morally in the wrong, pay up and look big.

Optimist, I should be absolutely clear - I do not defend in any way my car having been parked in a 10 minute bay. It should not have happened, and I will make sure the driver never does it again.

But I also agree with you that the people inconvenienced have been other car park users, and I don't see how paying NCP a large sum of money will help those users?

I am now clear that there is no legal basis for the large charge.

Morally, parking there was clearly wrong, but I don't see how paying NCP helps rolsolve the error (perhaps someone could suggest a suitable charity to receive the money?). All I can usefully do is to make sure that it does not happen again.
(perhaps someone could suggest a suitable charity to receive the money?)

Here's a thought, Gordon. Why not, as it's that time of year, give the money to Children in Need and write a letter to NCP telling them that they have no legal right to demand this money from you but as a gesture you have donated the amount of the 'fine' to CiN. Imagine the media stories if they then wrote back demanding the money from you - "Parking Giants Steal From Children" etc, etc.

Just a thought.... :-)
Badwolf, I love the idea.

Any legal types on here know if I would be potentially putting the driver at a disadvantage by taking that course of action?
Private parking dilemma - drbe
Badwolf I love the idea.

So you have no problem with paying the money, you just don't want to give the money to NCP?

Slightly TIC, but what does "the driver" as opposed to "the keeper" say about this. Does he/she think they should pay?

We don't seem to have heard their opinion (I think I know why).
drbe, the driver was working for my company, was on company time, and I accept it was an error. I don't regard the charge as their problem, whether it gets paid or not and whomever it gets paid to.

As the registered keeper, I don't acknowledge there is any debt owed to NCP.

I do acknowledge that my car has probably caused other people inconvenience, so I am willing to make a gesture to make moral amends for that. Hence the charity donation idea.
I get it now.

This is a long stay car park so the only place where there'll be ten minute parking is by the barriers and paystation.

If you park there you must be a bit dumb and - as a businessman - you must know that stupidity costs in this life.

Put it down to experience.

. Hence the charity donation>> idea.

>>

What an interesting concept.

We rent/buy/borrow/hire something from a company and fail to comply with their T & Cs.

What do you seriously expect that company to do? Come round to your house and shout through the letterbox? Have thickset men waiting for you when you drive your car away from its parking place?

No. Of course not. They have asked you for money for the breach of T & Cs - quite reasonably, in my opinion.

If every time there was a dispute between a customer and a supplier we said "it's OK. I have sent the disputed amount to ----------" (fill in the name of your favourite charity) commerce would collapse.

If you are not doing to ask the driver to pay up, then I think you should take reponsibility for his actions and pay up.

drbe, what is the loss that I am compensating them for?

I recently had to cancel an event I was attending. I've still paid the full fee - they would have made a loss because of me otherwise. NCP have made no loss.
It isn't a loss. Who said it was?

The driver of your car did a stupid thing that was against the NCP T&C's I imagine you signed up to when you booked.

So if no loss on what basis can they fine the driver? A penalty is illegal under contract law.
It isn't a loss. Who said it was?
The driver of your car did a stupid thing that was against the NCP T&C's
I imagine you signed up to when you booked.

This whole scenario reminds me of the bank charges furore. People in their thousands have challenged returned direct debit fees (and the like) on the grounds that they are punitive rather than reflecting the true cost to the bank. My bank (The Royal Bank of Scotland) have recently reduced their unpaid item fee from £38 to £5 in recognition of this.

As Gordon has said on more than one occasion, he is quite happy to admit that his driver was wrong to park where he did. However, NCP have suffered absolutely no financial loss whatsoever and yet still demand £50 (if paid promptly) for what amounts to an oversight.

The 'punishment' must fit the 'crime'.
I am now clear that there is no legal basis for the large charge. >>

Hmm. Look at jbif's post again.

I don't see the difficulty. If you rent a DVD and take it back late they'll charge you for infringement of their T&C's. You local library will charge you if you've overdue books because that's a breach of their T&C's.

NCP are doing exactly the same thing and, let's face it, this is not like overstaying half an hour in a supermarket car park.

The difference here is that Gordon's driver paid for, and used, the three days parking. He did not deprive NCP of any income, or any potential income, by occupying the wrong parking space.

If I rent a DVD and return it late, I would expect the DVD shop to charge me a 'fine' as I have prevented them from earning further income on the DVD.

NCP have had their pound of flesh and now want seconds....
Gordon's driver paid for, and used, the three days parking >>

I've probably missed it but where do you get that from? The barriers were out of order when the car left the car park so............

Edited to acknowledge Gorddon's post below. I'm thick so don't see how you pay in a car park where the barriers aren't working. Sorry.

Edited by Optimist on 13/11/2009 at 14:37

The parking was pre-paid and the normal procedure is that the ticket is put in the machine and you then give the code to zero the balance and get out.

The full fee was therefore paid in advance. The only problem with the barriers being out of order would be for the driver to prove when they left.

EDIT: Optimist, the system is through airportparking.co.uk : We use them a lot, very good value. I would never condone leaving without paying, that's theft, pure and simple, whether the barriers are working or not.

Edited by Gordon M on 13/11/2009 at 14:40

Optimist, T&Cs can rightly allow them to charge the driver for any losses incurred.

In your examples they would have been unable to rent the DVD to another customer, or to loan the books to another member, necessitating either a loss of income or a cost to replace the item so that they could lend it out.

I would not argue in the slightest in those situations.

Here they have lost no income. The correct charge of £22 was paid, and the car removed from the carpark in time, but the car was left in an inappropriate place in the carpark, probably causing inconvenience to some other customers. On behalf of the driver, I would happily apologise to both NCP and those customers for that inconvenience.

But. NCP have suffered no loss. The correct parking fee was paid. Under contract law they have no legal right to penalise the driver, only recover reasonable losses.

Morally the driver is in the wrong, but I don't see that paying NCP will help that. I do think that doing something to benefit the wider community would be appropriate though, hence I like the Children in Need idea - a far better place for the cash to go. If there are no legal downsides to the idea, I intend to do that.
Private parking dilemma - cilvilservant
Let me get this right - you believe you shouldn't pay the £50 fine but what difference will it do paying £50 to a charity? If you wish to donate to charity, then do so. But I cannot understand the principle of refusing to pay NCP's "fine" and giving it to charity instead. Doesn't make sense!

By all means, donate to charity but don't do so because NCP are annoying you! Donate because you want to.......
Well, it's NCP's car-park - The person that parked there for three days (in a ten minute bay) did not abide by their rules and subsequently got penalised (not too harshly) for doing so - there may be all kinds of loopholes for, legitimately, not paying it, morally questionable in my eyes. Hardly a selfless act. It's like those ignorant, selfish gits who park in the "customer pick up bays" at supermarkets whilst legitimate users are left isolated. Says a lot about what's wrong with society.
PU, I agree with you that it has inconvenienced completely unfairly a group of people (car park users). I am also happy to take the driver's word that this was completely unintentional.

So, an oversight has inconvenienced a group of people. How does me paying money to a completely different group who have suffered no inconvenience or loss help mitigate the damage? I don't believe it does.

The offer of a payment to a charity is a separate matter entirely. It's intention is to clarify that the motivation is not financial gain, and an acceptance that the driver is morally in the wrong.

Edited by Gordon M on 13/11/2009 at 15:24

Gordon ...... if there was no penalty for parking in the 10 minute bays everyone would do it because it saves you having to move your idle backside more than about 25 yards.

That's what the penalty is for: to stop everyone doing it. Will your driver do it again? I doubt it.

Okay, here's an idea. I think the facts are now pretty clear and have been covered. So, should I pay the NCP or a charity?

Key points:

Morally, and in terms of the parking T&Cs, the driver was in the wrong - they should not have parked there.

The NCP suffered no loss, and were paid in full for 3 days parking - they have no claim against the driver in civil law..

Other car park users were unnecessarily inconvenienced by my car being parked where it was, so suffered a loss of sorts. They cannot be compensated for this, so a charity could receive the money instead.

We all enjoy the right to trial by jury - being judged by our peers. So. All of you out there, please place your votes below. Do I pay the NCP? Or do I donate the amount to Charity?

I think there have been good arguments either way, so I will abide by the decision of the backroom. Votes by 18:00 Sunday please.
Charity - (despite what I said earlier) :-)
Private parking dilemma - cilvilservant
No laws were broken here - don't pay the fine.

But please donate money to charity if you wish to!
Private parking dilemma - gordonbennet
Pay NCP...they are morally entitled to the money, their penalty charges weren't in rip off amounts like itinerant clamper types either.
Private parking dilemma - AdrianM
Charity.
Private parking dilemma - bathtub tom
>>a whole line of cars had tickets for having done the same thing

Neither. Let NCP pay for their own improved signage.
Pay the £50 to neither.

The NCP have no legal basis for writing to the keeper for a mistake made by the driver.
Assuming they got the keeper's details from the DVLA, you should use the £50 for your time and effort to challenge the basis on NCP obtained the keeper's information from the DVLA.

Charity. But then (he says modestly) it was my idea... :-)
Private parking dilemma - woodster
Several contributors seem to be missing the point here - NCP cannot fine you. The 'penalty' is not given under any statute law and therefore the registered keeper cannot be held responsible. And jbif is right, DVLA can be asked on what basis they've made a data protection release. The grounds for releasing data are quite clear - national security, prevention/detection of crime, prosecution of offenders. Can't see where this fits in at all. If NCP can get such info released then just about anyone with a company header could start doing the same. Companies trying to market goods could ask for details of all £40k + car owners for example, to target the well off. Sounds good??? The basis for requesting the details would be just as flimsy as NCP's.

Pay a charity? Has anyone thought to ask the chosen charity what percentage of any money received actually goes to the cause? I think UK law allows up to 98% to be used for 'admin'. For 'admin', read: directors wages etc.
Private parking dilemma - 1400ted
You don't have to contact them, but if you want, EMail them and tell them that it's nothing to do with you......which is true.
IMO these parking firms make far too much money from hitting people who just roll over and pay because they don't know the rules.....often pensioners who are frightened by their intimidating ' demands 'and ' final warnings '.

Ted
Pay the money to NCP, or don't pay the money to NCP.

Pay a reduced amount or ask /tell the driver to pay some, all, or none of the amount requested.

Paying some money to a charity and then telling NCP what you have done is a ludicrous and irrelevant diversion.
drbe, to be clear, the two are completely separate. I have no intention of telling the NCP anything unless we are in court or I am paying their invoice.

The money to charity is a separate, albeit linked, matter, addressing the morality of having blocked a 10 minute space for 3 days due to the driver's oversight.
>> Paying some money to a charity and then telling NCP what you have done is
a ludicrous and irrelevant diversion.

Why?
Private parking dilemma - b308
Perhaps it would be just easier if we allowed people to park wherever they wanted, drive at whatever speeds they wanted, no insurance, the list goes on... your car was parked in the wrong place, that would have caused other people who wished to use that space no end of problems (think about how many times you have circulated a car park because people have misused short stay spaces)... Your punishment for that was a £50 fine, cheap I'd say, in the circumstances, they could have towed it, what would it have been then?!... I'm with the pay up brigade, as to who pays, your driver has to take some responsibility, he was driving at the time, split it between you and put it down to experience.

Edited by b308 on 14/11/2009 at 09:01

Private parking dilemma - Simon
I say don't pay them, just because I would like to see how it all pans out.
This is such a great thread I had to return to it.

Here is Gordon's link to a photograph of the exact location of the spaces where his driver parked

tinyurl.com/yf2xx6k

If you zoom out a bit you can see clearly that you have to drive in, around most of the car park and be on your way out again before you get to what is clearly a slip road off the main route designed for stopping your car while you pay.

Duuuhhhh.

made clickable

Edited by Pugugly on 14/11/2009 at 11:40

"Duuuhhhh."

Couldn't agree more.
Private parking dilemma - danensis
Why not suggest to NCP that they invest in a tow-truck, and move anything parked in the 10 minute bays after 10 minutes? Investing in a large sign showing their intentions of course.
Private parking dilemma - concrete
I would do several things in this instance. I would write to NCP stating, correctly, that you were not the driver of the vehicle and are therefore not responsible for the actions of someone else, and that you do not feel it appropriate to provide them with any further information regarding the incident. I would also point out that it is in their own interests to clearly indicate beyond doubt the restrictions on the said parking spaces in question, this would have the effect of reducing the instances of this situation and also increasing their parking revenue. State that in view of your suggestion which is free advice and to their advantage that they should consider the matter closed and not even bother to thank you. Anything else regarding what it would have cost you is irrelevant, you are not responsible in law or morally for the actions of someone else unless you are directing them. However you did receive a pecunious benefit from the situation so it might solve the moral dilema if you informed NCP that as a gesture you will donate an amount, say £25 to a charity of their choice. Concrete.