05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - luckyjim
Hi

Service in August indicated front pads were '85% worn', garage (not our local Ford dealer) wanted to replace them. Didn't take that at face value and we only do about 5,000miles pa so left it until now; MOT is due soon.

I've had a look and the front n/s pad seems to have 5mm left. On that basis our local Ford dealer advises they be replaced now and this will cost £70. Given our low mileage is it still too early to replace them or am I just being tight?!

Car has done 28,500 miles BTW, original pads as far as I know.

Cheers,
Jim
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - nick
Decent garages usually consider whether the pads will last to the next service given an annual mileage of 10-15000 pa so will always err on the side of caution. If I've read your post correctly, the n/s pads are more worn than the others? This would suggest a sticky caliper to me.
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - Ben 10
"On that basis our local Ford dealer advises they be replaced now and this will cost £70."

Which Ford garage is this. Supply and fit two discs for £70, tell me where?
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - DP
The OP only mentioned pads. Still sounds like a very good price for main dealer work though. They normally want three figures just to drive a car into a workshop. ;-)
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - Lud
Another thing is that luckyjim has apparently only looked at one brake pad. You have to look at them all really. It isn't unusual for one pad to be down to the metal when others still seem quite thick, owing to varied scoring on the discs and/or a partially seized piston or caliper.
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - luckyjim
Thanks all

I think I'm going to get them done, or at least have our dealer do the MOT and replace the pads if their view is that they won't be safe throughout the next 4000-5000 miles.

Ford have a promotion on (participating dealers) and when I called they confirmed £70 to replace the front pads. Forgot to ask if that included labour mind you. www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepa...e

Thanks again
Jim
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - Simon
If your pads still have about 5mm on them apiece then they are surely only about 50% worn. If it was me I would leave them in as it is false economy to change them at this stage, especially if you only cover 4000-5000 miles per year - they will be absolutely fine.
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - piston power
As a rule of thumb replace when the pad material is the same thickness of the metal backing plate it's glued to.

Having said that pads do crack with age and heat & the only way to see is to remove them and check.

Front pads have more "meat" on them than rear ones do at 25-28k the discs should be ok.
05 1.6 front brake pad replacement with 5mm left? - Roly93
Our 53 plate Focus is still on about 5mm of original front pads after 38K miles.
Like you the car does about 5K PA and I would replace the pads and discs myself anyway, but am not ready to do it yet.

I have to say though that £70 is quite reasonable for a garage to do this, although I am assuming that this is only for the pads and not the discs.