06 2.0 Starting problem - Berty
I have owned a '56 diesel SE Sport Volvo for 6 months, bought and latterly serviced by an independent. Almost from first getting the car there were intermittent problems with it starting. These initially were rare and merely inconvenient, but got progressively worse. As the warranty was about to run out I booked the car into the local Volvo garage. Initially it had a software download, which failed to cure the problem, then a new ignition switch, which was similarly unhelpful. The car then would not start at all, and was towed to the garage, outside warranty. It had the "sludge" cleaned out of the tank and a new fuel pump. This would have cost over £1000, but Volvo met 60% of the cost and the dealer the rest. Sadly this has not cured the problem, and the car is still very unreliable when starting.
I am about to book the car into the Volvo dealership again (for the fifth time) but really have little confidence that they can fix it.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Once started it always runs very well but I cannot risk being stranded late at night with my children in the car and need to resolve the problem asap. What can I expect from the dealership/Volvo?
Genuinely very gateful for any assistance, as I am not an expert in these matters and really pushed the boat out to buy this car.
Regards,

Berty