10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - mark.b
just want to get an idea of opinion i have been looking around for an almera this week , there seems to be a split between 40-50k cars and 60-80k cars , would a 40k ish car be a bad buy as it would of only been doing short journeys or should i go for the higher mileage car as its probably had longer journeys and got up to temperature more frequently
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - bathtub tom
Mine does short journeys most weekdays of four miles, but the temp gauge says it's normal at about two miles. It does get reasonable 50 - 100 mile thrashes in between.

I'd say it's a question of what it sounds like, PARTICULARLY WHEN COLD!

I once bought a Micra that had a suspiciously warm engine early one morning. The seller said he'd used it to pop to the newsagents. It had a death rattle when cold cured only by new chains, wheels and tensioners.

Have you made a note of my comment on engine numbers?
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - oldnotbold
All ten year-old cars are a lottery. If you found one that had been used on a brisk-ish daily commute of ten miles (or more) each day then that's the best you could hope for. That would imply a mileage of 75k or more.
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - perro
How long is a piece of string? £2000 for a 10 year old car - we've all been there friend, some ya win and some ya lose, but you can improve on the odds of buying a pup by taking someone along to check out the car - listen to that chain from stone cold + does it seem like its been cared for + what service history has it got + is it from a dealer or a private sale + does the engine oil look fairly clean + and + and + etc.,
I'll tell ya one thing I've found over the years - if its got good boots, the chances are its been looked after - especially if dem boots are all the same make!
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - old crocks
if its got good boots the chances are its been looked after - especially if dem boots are all the same make!

...And if its got flares then avoid!
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - nick
I agree with perro. Four matched tyres of a good make is always a good sign.
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - oldnotbold
Matching collar and cuffs on an old model is not common these days.
>>>...And if its got flares then avoid!<<<

Ah! but ... some cars need flares to take dem big boots ;)
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - mark.b
this one is probably what i am going to end up with , going to look at it in the next couple of days

tinyurl.com/yesc2xn {Link to Autotrader shortened , and also your postcode replaced with one of the Autotrader ones}

what do you all reckon

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2009 at 22:03

>>>what do you all reckon<<<

It looks like a blinder Mark, but looks can be deceiving, don't judge a book by its cover, beauty is only skin deep, btw - I'm known as the doom & gloom merchant around here!
Unless its a dog on viewing, I'll wager ya'll be its next owner :)
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - bathtub tom
D'yer live near me, and want to swap those steel rims for my allys? They've got new (cheapo) tyres on 'em.

Be very careful!
10yr 40k or 10 yr 70k - scott1s
Nice car, I had one for 3 years and it never let me down.

The one highlighted though is NOT a Sport+. You can tell by - 15" 5 spoke not 16" multispoke wheels, no sunroof, no side skirts, no 6 disc changer.

nice car though. go for it