What practical and cheap to run car do you suggest to replace my ageing RAV4?

I need to replace my three-door Toyota RAV4 as I need more space and five doors. I went for the RAV4 as I live in rural Cumbria and floods/snow are likely. I do around 12,000 miles/yr and am thinking diesel to reduced fuel costs. Dogs and grandchildren need transporting so I have looked at Skoda Yeti, Skoda Roomster and Jeep Renegade.

Would 2WD be fine if I put better tyres on or should I stick with 4WD? I have a budget of up to £10000 max and my main priority is to cut running costs (fuel and tax) and have enough room for a dog, pushchair, hay bales etc (not all at once!)

A four-wheel-drive will be thirstier than a front-wheel-drive model and I think you'd be surprised at the difference a set of winter tyres makes in wintry conditions. I'd look for a two-wheel-drive crossover like a Suzuki Vitara or, if you need more space, a Kia Sportage. We normally recommend diesels for people who cover more than 12,000 miles a year, so your mileage is borderline. If most of your journeys are short and you rarely drive at motorway speeds for extended periods, a petrol will make more sense.